India Holiday

Soldato
Anyone been to India on Holiday?

Brother in law getting married at the end of the year so kind of have no choice but to go over. Bangalore if that makes a difference.

We will mainly be there but will head over to Goa for a few days too.

For those who have been did you get the dreaded "Dehli Belly"??

Travelling with my wife and 2 children (the kids is what i worry about the most)

Wont be much of a trip if we got the craps for days.

Permabanned
It's your brother in law, of course you have a choice whether to go. If I decided to get married in India I'd be surprised if anyone turned up.

India with children, make sure you book a decent hotel and never leave, unless you want to explain to them why a woman is smearing cow urine all over her face or other interesting sights you may encounter.

Soldato
Went 3 years ago to a friend's wedding. Thankfully we didn't get craps but one of our friends did. As long as you're careful where you eat, wash your hands and only drink bottled water (even for brushing teeth) you should be fine. Our mate bought street food when he arrived before joining us so we think that's what gave him *****.

Also make sure you take lot of mosquito cream/ spray and get all the recommended jabs.

It's an amazing country, just don't look out of the windows too much when you're in a car, especially the front one. ;)

Soldato
OP
Go watch some Karl Rock videos, he does videos on India for tourists
will do, cheers

It's your brother in law, of course you have a choice whether to go. If I decided to get married in India I'd be surprised if anyone turned up.

India with children, make sure you book a decent hotel and never leave, unless you want to explain to them why a woman is smearing cow urine all over her face or other interesting sights you may encounter.

pretty obliged to go. will be booking a good hotel though.

I don't think you quite understand the meaning of the word holiday...
in what way?

Soldato
OP
Went 3 years ago to a friend's wedding. Thankfully we didn't get craps but one of our friends did. As long as you're careful where you eat, wash your hands and only drink bottled water (even for brushing teeth) you should be fine. Our mate bought street food when he arrived before joining us so we think that's what gave him *****.

Also make sure you take lot of mosquito cream/ spray and get all the recommended jabs.

It's an amazing country, just don't look out of the windows too much when you're in a car, especially the front one. ;)
thanks, this was the type of advice i was looking for. i dont plan on eating much outside the hotels to be honest. brother in law only eats at expensive places so hopefully that helps

Soldato
Go to the uxbridge road in southall or ealing road wembly for a while. Essentially the same place but without the heat. Will give you a good feel for it

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks, this was the type of advice i was looking for. i dont plan on eating much outside the hotels to be honest. brother in law only eats at expensive places so hopefully that helps

To be honest we ate in couple of random places that didn't look great and were dead cheap. Food served on banana leaves and was much better than some of the more expensive restaurants we tried. Though we were taken there by family members of our friend who was getting married, doubt we'd go there on our own.

Soldato
OP
Go to the uxbridge road in southall or ealing road wembly for a while. Essentially the same place but without the heat. Will give you a good feel for it

but i love the heat, went to Dubai last year in June 45 degrees every day. beautiful.

To be honest we ate in couple of random places that didn't look great and were dead cheap. Food served on banana leaves and was much better than some of the more expensive restaurants we tried. Though we were taken there by family members of our friend who was getting married, doubt we'd go there on our own.
He's lived in banglore for almost a year now so should know some decent places to have food. again im not too worries about myself just the kids.

Soldato

No ice in your drinks, it's usually made from tap water. It's why a lot people take precautions and still get ill.

Associate
Was there...11 years ago. I did the more extreme version of Delhi belly, where I ended up in hospital for 4 days with dysentery :p fortunately was traveling with my girlfriend at the time, who did an amazing job of looking after me (even if it was a bit annoying that we ate and drank exactly the same things every day and she was fine :p)

I'd absolutely go back, I followed all the tips above, would just hope for better luck next time. That said, I've never traveled with kids, so can't help with that, but the general stay healthy advice in this thread, coupled with what you've said about hotels, restaurants etc, just go for it :)

Caporegime
Anyone been to India on Holiday?

Brother in law getting married at the end of the year so kind of have no choice but to go over. Bangalore if that makes a difference.

We will mainly be there but will head over to Goa for a few days too.

For those who have been did you get the dreaded "Dehli Belly"??

Travelling with my wife and 2 children (the kids is what i worry about the most)

Wont be much of a trip if we got the craps for days.

The dreaded belly is, from what I am told, from the bad water. People think they can avoid it by not eating meat and sticks to vegetables instead, except the vegetables are grown and fed in these waters. So in a way it is very hard to avoid, everyone gets sick, especially on a western stomach. I guess you can always stick to plain naan the whole time lol

Soldato
I have lived in India for 5 years now and if you use a bit of common sense you will not have any issues at all with food poisoning.

1)Avoid street food.

2)Only drink bottled or RO water. Kinley is my brand of choice. If you want to brush your teeth with it....no problem. However I have always used tap water and never had a problem.

3)Bangalore has a huge expat community so you will have no problem finding clean restaurants to eat in. However if you are unduly paranoid eat in 5 star hotels. It's about £15 quid for a meal in them and no prior booking required.

4)If you travel rural at all. Stick with South Indian food. Particularly Dosa and Idli and opt for no filling or side sauce (samba etc).

I have never seen anyone smearing cow urine on their face, and avoid the negativity of never leaving the hotel. Microwaving food in your hotel????? Absolutely no need.

Experience India... Its a beautiful country and if you travel at the end of the year(October onwards) the climate will be great.

I host clients over here all the time from back home, the US or Australia and they all have the fear of getting an upset stomach. No one has had a problem yet by following the simple steps above.

Goa is great and the meat and fish options are fantastic. Enjoy Baga beach. The beach restaurants are amazing and you will have a great time.

Reactions: Raz
Associate
It is a fantastic country to visit.
So much history.
If you become a vegetarian and only drink bottled water then you should be fine

Soldato
OP
I have lived in India for 5 years now and if you use a bit of common sense you will not have any issues at all with food poisoning.

1)Avoid street food.

2)Only drink bottled or RO water. Kinley is my brand of choice. If you want to brush your teeth with it....no problem. However I have always used tap water and never had a problem.

3)Bangalore has a huge expat community so you will have no problem finding clean restaurants to eat in. However if you are unduly paranoid eat in 5 star hotels. It's about £15 quid for a meal in them and no prior booking required.

4)If you travel rural at all. Stick with South Indian food. Particularly Dosa and Idli and opt for no filling or side sauce (samba etc).

I have never seen anyone smearing cow urine on their face, and avoid the negativity of never leaving the hotel. Microwaving food in your hotel????? Absolutely no need.

Experience India... Its a beautiful country and if you travel at the end of the year(October onwards) the climate will be great.

I host clients over here all the time from back home, the US or Australia and they all have the fear of getting an upset stomach. No one has had a problem yet by following the simple steps above.

Goa is great and the meat and fish options are fantastic. Enjoy Baga beach. The beach restaurants are amazing and you will have a great time.
Cheers Rifte, that's great help. Will be travelling at the end of October/start of November.

Another question. My girls love a waterpark. We've found one in Bangalore with good reviews, called wonderla. You ever been?

Back
Top Bottom