Bring out your dead

Caporegime
Wonderful.
A thread to "promote" how to drive like a ****.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys drive white vans, pickups or Audis?

Yes.

I drive basically exactly as you'd expect someone who owns a pre-facelift first generation Range Rover Sport to drive :o

Unlike most people where I live, I never pull out on people / reverse down slip roads etc (that was an interesting one yesterday.....) but I'm pretty bad for tailgating / speeding etc. Some of the limits here are insane (think 40KPH on a 4 lane highway in the countryside) and the penalties for breaking them are insignificant, so I often end up driving at 4x the speed limit. The highest I've ever been caught at was 180KPH in an 80, cost me sub £100 to sort it out though. :D

I'll move there then, I'll be able to drive the Ovlov at 150 all day without a worry. :p

Soldato
Wonderful.

Who is promoting anything? Apart from the obvious satirical replies of course.
I know I have bad habits, but surely being aware of them is more healthy than thinking I have none? Otherwise I would never work to improve them.

Man of Honour
Although I am a bit of an **** hole in person, I think I am quite a considered and conscientious driver. Sometimes I may be a touch prone to assuming that all the peasants should move out of my way.

Did it survive?

Yes as it would do about 60 in second, but it went from something like 2000 to 6500 revs in 0.000001 of a second. I was slowing (my old man was insistent I was good on dual carriageways and upto about 80mph whilst i was learning) so we did a lot of that work, the round town stuff was normal instructor.
So I was quite used to it and probably came across as such to the guy following, until I missed the gear change. IIRC it used to sit between first and second naturally. Long time ago mind.

That car was a bit of a beastie to be honest for its time. Funny though as it was quite torqey my old man didnt use first much, when the car came to going back he said its probably still got the paint on first gear.
I knew differently, once I passed my test i used to be allowed to use it before I got my first car at sixth form. Its spent quite a lot of time in first and second under my stewardship ;)

Soldato
That sort of downchange can still cause enough strain to break rockers and stuff though, so thats good going. :p

My mum shifted from 5th to 1st in her Rover Metro on a dual carriageway. Didn’t seem to do it any harm but it was a total shed anyway, bought because my dad knew she’d do stupid **** like that :p

Caporegime
My mum shifted from 5th to 1st in her Rover Metro on a dual carriageway. Didn’t seem to do it any harm but it was a total shed anyway, bought because my dad knew she’d do stupid **** like that :p

Maybe she was going 20MPH in 5th at the time :p

5th to 1st though... What a random motion, I can't see how you would be able to manage that by accident. Maybe she was trying to kill it off so she didn't have to drive a Metro anymore :D

Soldato
On roads where I know there is a bit of slack between the opposing set of lights I've become a bit of an amber gambler at times. Still, half the time I think "ooh probably should have made an effort to stop there" at least one car follows me through!

Soldato
Maybe she was going 20MPH in 5th at the time :p

5th to 1st though... What a random motion, I can't see how you would be able to manage that by accident. Maybe she was trying to kill it off so she didn't have to drive a Metro anymore :D

I’d say she was going about 40-50, she was slowing down from 60 for a roundabout and tried to go from 5th to 4th, couldn’t get it into 4th so panicked and tried 3rd but got 1st instead. When the rust finally killed the Metro, we replaced it with a Micra so if that was her plan, it didn’t work!

Caporegime
Hehe :D I never notice much slowing going North, but Southbound drives me mental on the way home
That’s the catch, your heading home, thinking of whatever pleasantries that await your arrival, on the way to work your probably just adopting a “meh” attitude. :D

But yes, weirdly it’s always southbound that’s crap northbound never appears so bad, on the opposite side, Jct 28 (A38) is crap northbound yet generally flows fine southbound.

I’m sure there’s a reason but I’m stuffed if I know what!

Associate
Main Beam ...
I sometimes accidentally end up lighting up everything that's coming the other way with main beam ... I'm sure I saw someone's retinas the other day. To whoever that was, I am really sorry.

The problem is that my previous cars were "two positions for dip and main beam" with a pull towards you for a flash.
This car is push away for main beam, pull towards you to dip or flash.
And if you engage main beam in auto mode, it triggers "auto main beam" as well, and once you've done this there is no way to turn auto main beam off without selecting manual mode which I'm too scared to do because I might plunge myself into total darkness and crash in a ball of flames.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Wonderful.

Audi driver checking in :D

Honestly, I drive like a **** no matter what I drive, although generally the more powerful the car, the more relaxing my driving style.

Soldato
Soldato
The M1 South between Nottingham and Leicester has some fairly steep uphill sections, resulting in people driving Luton vans flinging it into the overtaking lane at about 45mph to avoid slow trucks, with zero consideration for all the other traffic behind them.
Tell me about it. Joining the M1S at Loughborough to get to Leicester in a 75bhp fiesta is very stressy

Back
Top Bottom