What quality should I be gaming at with this set up ?

Associate
Hi I just got back into pc’s and built the following but keep getting random black screens when gaming or YouTube videos in full screen, so swapped from edge to ff and that seems to have stopped the YouTube problem and dropped down to medium in graphic settings, just trying out the free games that came with the card purchase, devil may cry, Division 2,Ghost Recon Wildlands free weekend,division 1, and a few other older titles.
So can I ask what settings I should be gaming at with the following stock settings ?

Ryzen 5 2600
Team Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit
PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 8192MB

Soldato
As above - screen res required for setting advice.

keep getting random black screens when gaming or YouTube videos in full screen
  • Are your GFX drivers upto date? (if not update - easy test)
  • System clocked?
  • Are you experiencing any cold boot issues too?
  • Motherboard and BIOS?
  • PSU - brand/model?
  • CPU/GPU temps - idle and load (especially the Red Dragon's)?

Soldato
It all depends on the game to be honest - some are better optimised than others. Start out at max settings then slowly drop until you have a playable frame rate. There are some settings have more of an impact than others

Associate
OP
quick update my son came up and after messing with settings found i could run everything on max but only if not in full screen(windowed mode, borderless mode), so i decided after he left in my infinite wisdom to reset the bios and then do a clean instal. So reset the bios and then got sidetracked and later tried the games and they seem to be playing okay now, only setting changed is i had Windows 10 WHQL Support on in the bios, would this cause the problem before i clean it all out and start again (had around 3 hrs various games and no black screens)

Associate
OP
no ran a game after resetting bios and it played fine so turned on the xms 2 to get the memory up to 3200 and played a couple of games and it was fine, and the only other setting that i changed was the Windows 10 WHQL Support setting that i had turned on since i built this system (and have the black screen issue since being built ).I really hoped just for someone to come on and say yes i could have been that lol

Soldato
Use and abuse the system for a few days - if it remains stable it could be that your Windows/drivers install had become corrupted.

If you start to get issues again drop the memory to 2933MHz and test again over a few days.

EDIT: *Do you allow windows to install drivers or do you get them directly from motherboard and AMD (GPU)?

Back
Top Bottom