U.S introduces bill to ban loot boxes and P2W mechanics.

Soldato
why is it bad?

I can gamble, drink, spoke but not spend £40 on a game to have fun for a day / few hours?

maybe put in reasonable limits the same as should apply to gambling...

Soldato
OP
why is it bad?

I can gamble, drink, spoke but not spend £40 on a game to have fun for a day / few hours?

maybe put in reasonable limits the same as should apply to gambling...

Did you even read the article? It's aimed mainly at games sold to kids. Loot Boxes and other things are essentially gambling. Kids should be protected from anything like that. And it's completely unregulated gambling. Gambling anywhere else has regulations in place for a reason.

Soldato
It needs doing. Not sure what it will achieve though, it's not like age ratings make much of a difference these days. What are they going to do, make fortnite an 18 instead of a 12? plenty of underage kids already playing it, changing the age rating is going to do jack to stop that.

Caporegime
Just make all games with loot box systems 18+, it's the same **** happening on the internet with things being censored and banned for adults in order to "protect the children". Just get children away from the adult world instead of turning everything into CITV.

Caporegime
Is this expected to pass? As I would imagine some lobbyists are gearing up and this sounds too sensible a policy for a GOP controlled government to ever pass fully.

Caporegime
Just make all games with loot box systems 18+, it's the same **** happening on the internet with things being censored and banned for adults in order to "protect the children". Just get children away from the adult world instead of turning everything into CITV.

please no.

games like FIFA where it's pay to win. you have people spending £100's daily / weekly / monthly so they can compete against better players.

there was a guy on here who wasn't even in a well paid job spending £XXX a week on it.

gaming has went down a very horrible path one which now makes it no longer enjoyable to play unless you also now spend £XXX on loot boxes. i'm not talking about fortnite where it makes zero difference they can do whatever they like i'm talking about pay to win games.

imagine having a game which has the sole monopoly of the market and then that game introduces pay to win. so now your only option is to pay or stop playing.

so now you cannot play something you would like to because you don't want to spend thousands on it every year.

i know a high school kid who was spending £500 a week on his dads credit card. yes his dad is loaded but still what is it teaching this kid?

no need to ban loot boxes just make them free to open

Caporegime
fifa has already been banned in a EU country from selling packs.

so I hope it's introduced worldwide tbh.

Two very different regions. Never underestimate the power of lobbying in America or simply ignoring science/pragmatism for a quick buck. Furthermore if the GOP are taking interest in this - that also worries me :p. As they have been using video games as an excuse for decades and maybe this is there 'in' :p.

Caporegime
Ahh you know what I forgot about stuff like that. I was thinking mainly them package loot boxes company’s sell containing random stuff for games I forgot about digital ones

no every game nowadays has loot boxes in them that you can either open for free and some you have to pay to open or buy for the more premium loot. or some games have a system where the more boxes you open the better stuff you get which helps you in game (pay to win).

so if you open enough packs in fifa you get the best players and enough coins to buy the best players to make your team better than your opponents.

it's why fifa packs have been banned by 1 EU country already.

Associate
no every game nowadays has loot boxes in them that you can either open for free and some you have to pay to open or buy for the more premium loot. or some games have a system where the more boxes you open the better stuff you get which helps you in game (pay to win).

so if you open enough packs in fifa you get the best players and enough coins to buy the best players to make your team better than your opponents.

it's why fifa packs have been banned by 1 EU country already.
I can understand why some people arnt happy with them then because that is basically apart of gambling then isn’t it. I wouldn’t say it should be illegal tho they should just have a limitation because I’m sure fifa online gambling has an age cap so just restrict the loot boxes to only be available in that category kind of thing.

End of the day tho kids shouldn’t have access to payments and if they do that comes down to the responsibility and fault of the parents

Caporegime
I can understand why some people arnt happy with them then because that is basically apart of gambling then isn’t it. I wouldn’t say it should be illegal tho they should just have a limitation because I’m sure fifa online gambling has an age cap so just restrict the loot boxes to only be available in that category kind of thing.

End of the day tho kids shouldn’t have access to payments and if they do that comes down to the responsibility and fault of the parents

it's not just fair to say games should all be 18+.

games just shouldn't have pay to win systems in them.

you are already paying £40-80 to buy the game. then having to spend an additional £100 a week to compete on top just isn't right.

they should be made illegal. if you don't play these games then you shouldn't really be commenting on whats should be done IMO. as you have no clue how bad it is for gaming. put it this way i won't be buying fifa ever again after this year. it was the first time i have bought it and played in around 5 years and it's 100 times worse than when i left.

it's so bad i won't be buying it again.

if it wasn't for pay to win, i'd happily buy it again.

Associate
it's not just fair to say games should all be 18+.

games just shouldn't have pay to win systems in them.

you are already paying £40-80 to buy the game. then having to spend an additional £100 a week to compete on top just isn't right.

they should be made illegal. if you don't play these games then you shouldn't really be commenting on whats should be done IMO. as you have no clue how bad it is for gaming. put it this way i won't be buying fifa ever again after this year. it was the first time i have bought it and played in around 5 years and it's 100 times worse than when i left.

it's so bad i won't be buying it again.

if it wasn't for pay to win, i'd happily buy it again.
Ahh don’t get me wrong I completely agree with you there I don’t think micro transactions should be allowed at all either. I stopped playing games like cod just because of that reason, it’s got to the point where your not actually paying for more content your actually paying for the content they deliberately left out of the game just to charge you more money for it a few months down the line.
I think most games take advantage of the market now so to be honest it’s hard to buy a title that hasn’t got this included in it one way or another.
A content rich game that gives real value for money that decides to extend a title further by adding additional content further down the line for a small fee is one thing but to churn out the half arse releases like some company’s do then to ask for more money is ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom