Work accident advice

Soldato
Sounds similar to something which happened to someone where my friend works.

They didn't isolate the machine. Machine continues. Machine squashes man. He didn't live to tell the tale.

OP you need to be more clear. Did it not isolate because you chose not to because you thought it would be quicker and easier, or because the isolator failed?

I know you will not want to answer that question on here if the answer is the former, but if that's the case then you have to share the blame.

Associate
OP
Just going through my old postings wow this was sometime ago eh!

I got paid full by employeer for this incident had 5 days off in total as the bruising came out worse than i thought it would.
At the time i was a trained shotblasting operator.

Imagine a long conveyor track that goes into a booth that uses steel ball bearings to shotblast material to certain specs required. Then dependant on machine it passes through booth into another for paint spraying (in this case it was the paint spray booth i was in wrapping the rotation arms this is to make sure paint doesn't pool up and contaminate the material as it goes through the annealing phase towards the end.

So basically previous shift had left material which had just gone through the shotblast booth but had yet to come through so nobody knew it was there. Cue me standing there wrapping the arm up get a smack in the back of the legs and end up pinned against the arm as its rotating knee height. Luckily these were channels 75x40 @7.5m which aren't heavy so i managed to just about push them aside and untrap myself. Had they been the big 5t beams 750mm and above i wouldn't be here to tell the tale.

The company were out of order as there was not a SWP (safe working procedure) for this. Since the incident the method had evolved to using pre made sleeves which are costly. Funny that.

Fast forward i moved on from this company and got myself a better job with better pay and hours. A small blessing as i wasn't happy with that job and in hindsight i knew the job was dangerous from the get go and i made several complaints which resulted in some safety issues being corrected.

Back
Top Bottom