• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2500k to Ryzen 2600 upgrade opinions thanks:)

Associate
Hi there, thanks for taking time to check this.

Ive had my 2500k for years happily at 4.5 ghz but recently its starting to bsod more and more.

Ive recently replaced all the ram since this started as i was having random bsod with different messages that pointed to probably ram being the issue.

In last few months ive swapped ssd and replaced a gtx 970 to a rtx 2060 but im still getting the random bsod so probably its the cpu/mb thats on its way out.

The main advice im looking for is if an upgrade to a Ryzen 2600 will be a worthy upgrade from the i5 2500k 4.5ghz for the cost with mb/ram factored in. Its only really used for browsing/media or rarely 1080p gaming, located behind my Tv stand in living room.

I can get the mb/cpu/ram and maybe m.2 drive for under £300 but will it be worth the cost or spend a bit more to stick with Intel for 1080p gaming and browsing?

Id be happy if it at least matches my i5 at 4.5ghz in games but if it will blow past it then i will be ecstatic.

Sorry for the rambling post but im at the point of struggling to justify spending much more on the thing after spending around £400 this year on ram/ssd and my treat of new gfx card for it still to be fkd.

Any advice is appreciated and thanks for taking time to help:)

Soldato
In answer to your question then yes it will be a good upgrade. However, Zen2 with the Ryzen 3xxx series CPUs are only a couple of weeks away from being announced, it would be very much worth waiting for them :)

Associate
OP
Hey thanks.

Will it be worth waiting for the release of Ryzen 3 for the performance or the potential price drop of the 2600 considering im only gaming at 1080p?

Im happy to wait it i can get a similar deal cost wise or big performance boost but after recent generation price hikes of gpu generations im not too confident lol.

Over £300 for a xx60 nvidia card is comical:)

Associate
However you will get deals on the 2600 and 2700 chips. For example I got a new 2700 for £160. A 2600 will be good for another year and you could then upgrade to a zen 2 next year when the prices drop

Soldato
I have a 3570k at 4.5 GHz (one generation higher than your 2500k) and will be waiting to see what Zen2 brings.
I would personally do the same and wait and get a new Zen2 (Ryzen 3000 series) or Zen+ (Ryzen 2000 series) on a deal, but a cheaper option would be to maybe look for a secondhand i7 3770k (if your motherboard supports it).
However, like I said - I'd go for the complete overhaul of CPU and motherboard if you can afford it:)

Caporegime
wait if you can. if you cant buy a cheap 2600 or 2700 deal. i dont see the point in that though unless its dire. if you lasted for years why not just have the latest tech in couple of months.then last for another 5 years.

Associate
Hi there, thanks for taking time to check this.

Ive had my 2500k for years happily at 4.5 ghz but recently its starting to bsod more and more.

Ive recently replaced all the ram since this started as i was having random bsod with different messages that pointed to probably ram being the issue.

In last few months ive swapped ssd and replaced a gtx 970 to a rtx 2060 but im still getting the random bsod so probably its the cpu/mb thats on its way out.

The main advice im looking for is if an upgrade to a Ryzen 2600 will be a worthy upgrade from the i5 2500k 4.5ghz for the cost with mb/ram factored in. Its only really used for browsing/media or rarely 1080p gaming, located behind my Tv stand in living room.

I can get the mb/cpu/ram and maybe m.2 drive for under £300 but will it be worth the cost or spend a bit more to stick with Intel for 1080p gaming and browsing?

Id be happy if it at least matches my i5 at 4.5ghz in games but if it will blow past it then i will be ecstatic.

Sorry for the rambling post but im at the point of struggling to justify spending much more on the thing after spending around £400 this year on ram/ssd and my treat of new gfx card for it still to be fkd.

Any advice is appreciated and thanks for taking time to help:)
Your problem is possibly PSU related.
My previous 4700K was stable for few years.
Random BSOD, heavy load, light load. Truly random. New PSU sorted the problem.

Back
Top Bottom