Another step towards 1984 - Government to decide where British citizens are allowed to travel

Man of Honour
The Home Secretary is considering restricting British citizens from traveling to Syria. This is possible under recent terrorism laws. While on the face of it this sounds reasonable to fight terrorism, it really doesn't sit comfortably with me. We used to deride the Soviet Union for restricting their citizens travel and held ourselves up as morally superior for not having to do so.

But we are now in a situation where the government can stop you or I traveling to somewhere it decides we should not go.

I find this completely unacceptable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48329418

Soldato
It does say "ban travel to Syria without a legitimate reason" not a total ban per se.

So as much as I agree it sounds the typical Govt's sledgehammer to crack a nut approach to a problem, and people are complaining we have a problem, I'm not sure it's the descent into totalitarianism your title implies.

It's not really a casual holiday destination is it, apart from @MickeyFinns of course :p And I'm sure he can provide legitimate travel evidence.

Man of Honour
OP
It does say "ban travel to Syria without a legitimate reason" not a total ban per se.

Who decides what is a legitimate reason? Will the criteria be publicly known and applied evenly and without prejudice? Will those legitimate reasons change over time?

Permabanned
"A new counter-terrorism act allows him to ban people from travelling to, or remaining in, certain areas - or face up to 10 years in prison."

So presumably the likes of Idlib which is infested by thousands of Al Qaeda.

Yet another schizophrenic law from our government. Last August we intervened along with the US & France threatening military action against Syria in the event of a convenient CW attack in Idlib if they tried to retake the area yet at the same time we acknowledge the area is full of jihadis by laws like this. So we have a problem with our citizens going there, but the Syrian gov are expected to tolerate thousands of Al Qaeda occupying their territory.

Makes sense.

If the ban extends to areas under the Syrian Gov's control which are largely stable it's just spite for them standing up to our pet jihadis.

P.S. This could also be used to stop British journalists going there to expose our gov's lies.

Caporegime
So would I. But once it becomes normal to ban people from certain countries it will inevitably be introduced for other countries (not Spain etc obviously).
But it’s a law banning Britons from travelling to terrorist hotspots. It’s not the whole of Syria, just parts of northern Syria.

Why would you want to visit a terrorist hotspot? We’re then expected to feel sorry for them and rage when they end up being beheaded on video, or they travel there because they want to be the ones doing the beheading. No, sorry, I’m with the government on this one too.

Caporegime
But it’s a law banning Britons from travelling to terrorist hotspots. It’s not the whole of Syria, just parts of northern Syria.

Why would you want to visit a terrorist hotspot? We’re then expected to feel sorry for them and rage when they end up being beheaded on video, or they travel there because they want to be the ones doing the beheading. No, sorry, I’m with the government on this one too.

Is Paris a terrorist hotspot then?

Man of Honour
OP

Luckily none of our governments have ever used laws for reasons other than the originally intended one. Nope. Never. We can all have complete confidence in this and any future government to behave nicely.

Back
Top Bottom