48hours city break in June

Caporegime
Need some suggestions, I have a weekend free and want to do a run and gun kind of city break. Criteria are

1 - Easy transport between the city and the airport
2 - Not too large a city that takes longer than 48hrs (so no Rome or Berlin for example)
3 - Somewhere just to look at the architecture, eat local foods.
4 - Close enough, less than 3 hour flight.
5 - Not on the list below*

I am thinking:-

Brussels, Riga (Latvia), where else?

I am trying to keep the whole thing under £300, but just looking for ideas first for places and then will look into cost.

I would go to Bruges or Ghent but these are not easily get to with a direct flight from Birmingham or Bristol i don't think.

--------------------------

*Berlin
Munich
Prague
Paris
Rome
Florence
Lisbon
Barcelona
Amsterdam
Oslo
Copenhagen
Malmo
Stockholm
Naples
Vienna
Dublin
London
Budapest (not been to this but want to save it for a longer trip)_

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Riga's a good choice, I've been a few times for work and pleasure, it's a fairly compact city with interesting food/drink/architecture. You could have a photography field day at the indoor market.

Tallinn is another nice Baltic capital, totally different to Riga but beautiful. Bratislava is nice, very compact, cheap.

Soldato
Amsterdam is wicked from a transport side of things, plus, I didn't meet anyone that didn't speak English :) But if you've been there before, you've been

Seville is lovely as a city - have been there a few times as I travelled between south Spain/Portugal border and Malaga area a fair bit

Soldato
Seville. Best food in Europe, nice small city (old town).
Seville is amazing and would fit the bill perfectly, but it'll be constant 30c+ in June right? Not much fun for schlepping around a city. For that reason I'd suggest somewhere more Eastern Europe/Baltic etc. not that I've been to many of them!

Amsterdam is an amazing city if you've not been.

Raymond have you watched all of the Travel Man series? :p

Soldato
Having recently returned from Bordeaux, Biarritz, San Sebastian and Bilbao I'd highly recommend San Sebastian or Bilbao. You'll struggle to find better food, both towns are compact and you can get a good feel for them in a couple of days as well as some great buildings to look at. Looks like Easyjet do a Thursday - Sunday flight from Bristol as well!

Truth be told, you're best just going anywhere which suits your travel dates. It'll probably be difficult to find somewhere you've not been if you're limited to Friday - Sunday. I know I'm finding that! Been to all the easy to get to places.

Alternatively, Belfast is worth a visit. It's a great city.

Just had a quick look at Google Flights for 7-9th June. Bordeaux, Madrid, Hanover, Nantes all have direct flights and would all be good. I think Madrid would get my vote though!

Soldato
I love Travel Man - great for getting a rough idea to investigate further. We've done a few city breaks off the back of it, but recently resolved NOT to go to Porto on the back of the current series.

I haven't watched the Porto one, but it's a great city! You're really missing out if you don't consider going there. What did they say that put you off it?

Soldato
It just felt a little drab and industrial in places. I can't be more scientific than that - just didn't gel with it.

That said, we're looking for somewhere for this coming Fri - Tues so all options are open at the moment! Anyway, this is Raymond's thread, so I'll stop :)

Soldato
Bologna in Italy gets my vote. Perfect for 48 hours as there isn't too much to do beyond eating (Best food in Italy) and checking out the old buildings. Perfect weekend get away. Been a few times now most recently back at the start of April.

There is something very relaxing about drinking a prosecco or even an espresso on the square there. Love people watching

Caporegime
OP
Seville is amazing and would fit the bill perfectly, but it'll be constant 30c+ in June right? Not much fun for schlepping around a city. For that reason I'd suggest somewhere more Eastern Europe/Baltic etc. not that I've been to many of them!

Amsterdam is an amazing city if you've not been.

Raymond have you watched all of the Travel Man series? :p

I've heard of it but not watched it.

Porto is on the list but looking at flight there doesn't seem to be one on a Friday and will require a connection, so will leave that for now.

Bologna in Italy gets my vote. Perfect for 48 hours as there isn't too much to do beyond eating (Best food in Italy) and checking out the old buildings. Perfect weekend get away. Been a few times now most recently back at the start of April.

There is something very relaxing about drinking a prosecco or even an espresso on the square there. Love people watching

Forgot to say, I've been to Bologna once already, climbed on one of those thousand-year-old towers...quite scary.

Edinburgh

Checked it out, but I am looking at like £500 for those dates, compared to the £300 range I can see for Brussels and Riga for similar level of accommodation.

Having recently returned from Bordeaux, Biarritz, San Sebastian and Bilbao I'd highly recommend San Sebastian or Bilbao. You'll struggle to find better food, both towns are compact and you can get a good feel for them in a couple of days as well as some great buildings to look at. Looks like Easyjet do a Thursday - Sunday flight from Bristol as well!

Truth be told, you're best just going anywhere which suits your travel dates. It'll probably be difficult to find somewhere you've not been if you're limited to Friday - Sunday. I know I'm finding that! Been to all the easy to get to places.

Alternatively, Belfast is worth a visit. It's a great city.

Just had a quick look at Google Flights for 7-9th June. Bordeaux, Madrid, Hanover, Nantes all have direct flights and would all be good. I think Madrid would get my vote though!

It'll have to be Friday to Sunday i am afraid, I am saving 2 days left to use later in the year. I am not 100% fussed where, as long as i haven't been before. I am even willing to suck it up and bare the 40c heat even for a couple of days.

City, food, compact, easy to get to, pictures and get out.

Florence is a beautiful and, perfect on this occasion, small city. You'd be able to walk away after 48 hours feeling like you've managed to see plenty and not just spent it all travelling.

Sorry, already been, had a blast, would go again but not just yet.

anU1qb9.jpg

Soldato
Forgot to say, I've been to Bologna once already, climbed on one of those thousand-year-old towers...quite scary.

Sorry, already been, had a blast, would go again but not just yet.

anU1qb9.jpg

Is that Florence? Looks like I know my next weekend trip, looks beautiful! Your photos both F1 related and in general always come out so nicely!

Regarding Bologna. The first time I climbed up that tower I almost dropped my camera right down the middle! Went up it again this time but had no scares, was an amazing day so had clear views!

Soldato
I love Travel Man - great for getting a rough idea to investigate further. We've done a few city breaks off the back of it, but recently resolved NOT to go to Porto on the back of the current series.
Really? As posted above what made you think that? It's hardly that industrial, it's becoming quite hipster/gentrified and seeing all the port distilleries is great fun.

Florence is a beautiful and, perfect on this occasion, small city. You'd be able to walk away after 48 hours feeling like you've managed to see plenty and not just spent it all travelling.
Florence was busy enough for us when we went in the winter. I'd file that under somewhere to avoid in peak summer - not for the heat but because of everyone else!

Back
Top Bottom