Led strip lights

Soldato
I've just pulled out a wooden plinth under my kitchen cupboards to gain access to my led strip lights and connectors that my builder installed in 2012. They weren't working properly and it turns out that a 4 pin connector had come away. So they're working now.

https://i.postimg.cc/mkGJ6dPg/20190521-114736.jpg

But the thing is, when I switch them off with the remote control, some of the bulbs at each end of the strip stay lit in blue. (The photo above is with them fully on). I'd say they"re putting out maybe 10% of the light compared to when they're turned on. Does anyone know why, and do you think it's using up much electricity if I can't switch them off completely?

I'm also going to buy some double sided tape as some of the self adhesive glue on the tape has dried up.

Soldato
OP
looks like they might be damaged
check all of the solder contacts and see if they are still good.

I'll have a look later. I was looking online for replacement reels, but they seem to be using USB. But mine is a regular 3 pin plug going into the mains. Do you think the usb ones would come with a 3 pin mains plug with a usb socket?

Associate
Check for a spec label on the white box or the plug. There's a good chance they're the same reels just with different connectors and the box is already stepping from mains to ~5V.

Soldato
The connector between the RGB SMD 5050 strip and the white box (the colour controller for the remote) looks like an old style, the plug under your plinth has the transformer in which connects to the white colour control box. I've installed a few strips and a lot of them using the white controller boxes leak light depending on the setup, sometimes due to a bad solder patch where strips are joined (even from factory). Power draw should be small if it's only affecting a few when off, in our kitchen we had ours hard wired to a light switch.

Any RGB 5050 kit should be fine to replace like for like, the white box will be the same but the connector between the LEDs and the white box is now smaller than on older ones.

Back
Top Bottom