Z390 VRM Coil Whine

Associate
OP
I tried with C1 state off, no change, then I turned every single C state off, and that actually did stop the whine. But im a bit of a tart and dont like the idea of having to do that, so it's gone back for an RMA today anyway (there was another issue with restarting the machine too).

Fair enough, I hope you get a board back without issues. I'll be interested to know how you get on!

I agree, you shouldn't have to turn off energy saving to stop the noise, (although apparently it's only ~5w difference at idle for a 9700k), it's what is holding me back from clicking buy...

Associate
Had my replacement from OcUK. Despite not being able to reproduce the issues mentioned (coil whine/restart ends up shutting down), they sent a replacement anyway, so appreciate that.

Still have coil whine (think I will just find the right C-state and turn that off), but not yet ran into restart issue, so at least something seems fixed.

Associate
OP
Had my replacement from OcUK. Despite not being able to reproduce the issues mentioned (coil whine/restart ends up shutting down), they sent a replacement anyway, so appreciate that.

Still have coil whine (think I will just find the right C-state and turn that off), but not yet ran into restart issue, so at least something seems fixed.

At least the restart issues are resolved.

I eventually bought a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X and it whines a lot under some circumstances (eg on the desktop if tabbed outside of a game). I think it's probably just about tolerable enough at idle that I can live with it - although if the PC wasn't under a heavy wooden desk I think the sound would drive me mad. The motherboard sings at a really high pitch when the ethernet is under sustained load, but thankfully that's not too often!

I tried disabling C-states, but it didn't make enough of a difference to keep them disabled.

Back
Top Bottom