Claiming against charity donations on self assessment

Associate
OP
Thanks The-abyss I had read that but wasn’t sure if that meant the charity could claim the gift aid going back 4 years.

An accountant might know the answer to this.
my self assessment is really so easy so didn’t want too pay an accountant so I’ve taken the easier route and I guess most direct and contacted HMRC - hopefully it is the four years as I want to donate any tax refund back to another charity

Caporegime
"chunk of cash to donate" means what to us poor people?

Donate to your wife's registered penguin saving charity? Or genuinely donate to a real charity?

What are the benefits, give to a charity rather than HMRC?

Associate
OP
"chunk of cash to donate" means what to us poor people?

Donate to your wife's registered penguin saving charity? Or genuinely donate to a real charity?

What are the benefits, give to a charity rather than HMRC?

Money’s going to the West Midlands air Ambulance so hopefully you approve and most definitely better it goes too them than HMRC.

Caporegime
Is that how it works then?
HMRC say you can give a % of your tax to a charity, if you want to?

Genuine question, if you can be bothered to answer or link me to a place that explains. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Is that how it works then?
HMRC say you can give a % of your tax to a charity, if you want to?

Genuine question, if you can be bothered to answer or link me to a place that explains. Thanks.

The refund is from the tax that the charity’s can’t claim on gift aid as they only get tax at the lower rate so if you’re a higher tax payer you can claim back the remaining percentage either through self assessment or ringing them - I guess some just keep the money but I’m looking to give it back then claim the tax again.

Soldato
Yes higher tax payer :mad:

HMRC confirmed 4 years so quite a chunk of cash too donate when I get around to sorting my tax return

That's not quite right. You don't claim the donations in the current tax year for previous years' donations. What you are doing is a claim for overpaid tax, which is essentially a 4 year time limit to amend the previous years' tax returns. Without knowing your history of taxation it could change things, but then again it may just be a bit of extra admin.

Edit: my memory on this is vague though :eek:

Associate
You claim gift aid at the higher or additional rate on your self assessment return for the relevant tax year. That moves the tax bandings that your taxable income falls into so generating a tax refund for higher rate or additional rate. I don't think the charity claims the extra bit and I'm sure HMRC does not do a check between your return and the charity and then sends the extra to them. I guess any you'll need to send any refund you receive to the charity directly.

Been a while since I cover gift aid and SA returns, so things may have changed.

Associate
OP
You claim gift aid at the higher or additional rate on your self assessment return for the relevant tax year. That moves the tax bandings that your taxable income falls into so generating a tax refund for higher rate or additional rate. I don't think the charity claims the extra bit and I'm sure HMRC does not do a check between your return and the charity and then sends the extra to them. I guess any you'll need to send any refund you receive to the charity directly.

Been a while since I cover gift aid and SA returns, so things may have changed.
Your right that I have to claim it rather than the charity - HMRC have confirmed that I can claim back four years worth of donations plus any up to the point I do my tax return which luckily I have a detailed list of which charities and when I donated so should be all good.

Back
Top Bottom