Next door.. CCTV... Invasive?

Soldato
Hey.

So I noticed the other day, that my neighbor had had cameras fitted to the side of his house.

One looks forward to his drive and one back to his garden.

Now, I'm not bothered with people having CCTV.

But this chap has had them fitted just 3ft under his roof, so pretty high.
The rear facing one will have a complete view of my garden... I'm one that likes to walk about in it... Half dressed lol.

Am I reasonable in being annoyed by this?

They didn't ask me at all. If they had I would probably have said ok as it covers my house too... But.. ya no... Invasion of privacy?

Caporegime
If it can see right in your garden, then yes, it’s a bit off imo. My ring doorbell covers my neighbours front door as well and I was a bit worried about that, but they’re cool with it, but I certainly wouldn’t put up a camera that covers neighbours gardens. Never in a million years.

You’ll be thankful though if burglars come through your garden and he’s got their mugs on camera.

Associate
Have you considered having a friendly chat with your neighbour and raising your concerns?

It may be that the camera doesn't see into your garden or he'd be happy to relocate it if he understands it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Soldato
OP
I imagine he has better things to do than watch you.

Yes, I fully expect he will not be watching me. That's not the point. It has implications with GDPR.
If he has an issue and police need to see the footage, he would have to get my approval to do so if I am caught on camera. GDPR is a mine field.

free security leave it be
I also see this point. I now don't need to buy my own camera system as he has us covered.

I might pop over when they are home, and have a chat about it.

Soldato
OP
How do you know he hasn't had privicy masks configured! I’ve got a camera that would look into over the road’s lounge, but I've got that area masked out (black square).

How many people do you know that have installed cameras DIY would have that configuration?

Not many I expect.

Soldato
Surely if you’re wandering about your garden half dressed:

1) You’re a bit of a weirdo :p

2) Your neighbour can just look out of the window at you

Soldato
OP
GDPR only applies to businesses.

This site says different:

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

"If you set up your system so it captures only images within the boundary of your private domestic property (including your garden), then the data protection laws will not apply to you.

But what if your system captures images of people outside the boundary of your private domestic property – for example, in neighbours’ homes or gardens, shared spaces, or on a public footpath or a street?

Then the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA18) will apply to you, and you will need to ensure your use of CCTV complies with these laws. This guidance refers to them as the ‘data protection laws’."

Soldato
If your Mrs isn't into also walking around the garden half dressed then I don't know why it would bother you, if anyone breaks into your house or back garden your neighbour has CCTV for you

Back
Top Bottom