Good Networks for rural "Not Spots"?

Soldato
Hi,

I live in a rural area and really struggle for mobile signal. The below shows the Ofcom signal checker results for my house...

Zombo-Droid-26052019185504.jpg

As you can see indoor coverage is non existent.

When we moved here I got hold of a load of PAYG Sims and tested out the various options, all pretty much zero.

We ended up on Vodafone with a Sure Signal V3 unit. We're on our second as the first one packed up and they're not cheap at £100 a go.

Currently got two phones on our account which are on SIM Only 500 mins / Unlimited texts / 5GB discounted from £18 to £9 for 12 months.

That discount comes to an end in a fortnight so our outlay will double. The Vodafone "upgrade" SIM only plans don't seem good value at all.

Do I have any options other than Vodafone? As far as I'm aware the only other network issuing a femtocell is Three but they'll only sell you one at their discretion.

Only looking at sim only, both got phones we are happy with and only on one income at the moment so the cheaper the better but options just seem so limited.

What about WiFi calling is that an option? Is it reliable? What happens with text messaging? Is it a viable solution or a gimmick?

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks

Soldato
I was going to suggest Wi-Fi calling, indoor signal in my house can be a little funny too so that's been a saving grace, works for calls and messages.

Soldato
OP
What network is that on? Do you use WiFi calling within the OS of the handset or a separate app from the network?

Edit - looks like you have to have a phone purchased from the network running their own firmware to have WiFi calling enabled. I'm on a generic Pixel2XL and partner is on a who are we of some form again generic rather than network issued.

Soldato
I'm on Three, it's already in my handset so just use that. I've got fibre broadband and good Wi-Fi coverage across the whole house so never really worry about it.

Don't those signal boosters just work off your broadband anyway, so if it works now you shouldn't see much difference switching to Wi-Fi calling. Here's a list of providers that support it.

Soldato
OP
The sure signal does connect via the internet so it relies on your bandwidth to operate but it's not WiFi. It connects to the router with a cable and then as I understand it emits a small 3g field, not a WiFi signal.

Goodness knows what the health implications could be in the long run of having a 3g cell in the house.

But yes in terms of WiFi coverage and internet speed we should be ok we are on 76mbps fibre and coverage around the house and garden is good.

Just doing some research in to WiFi calling but it looks like it will only work on handsets issued by the network and loaded with their own firmware.

We are really not looking to change handsets at the moment in fact it's not even an option while we are down to a single wage.

Soldato
I'm on an unlocked handset that I bought separately and just have Three as a sim only. Looks like with Vodafone you do it through the app, can just turn that booster off and try it now?

Soldato
OP
Had a look in the vodafone app but it doesn't present the wifi calling option. I assume its just a front end for activating it in the underlying firmware and because my phone is generic the option is hidden in the vodafone app.

From what I can tell, Vodafone, EE and Three all now require you to be running their own brand of android in order to use wifi calling. Looks like they've all discontinued their apps for unsupported phones.

Not sure about O2 yet.

So frustrating because I need to be able to switch networks to get a remotely competitive deal but I appear to be locked in because of the fact that I can't get any signal..

If I was in the market for a handset I suppose I would have freedom of choice, but them I'm also fairly fed up with the bloated versions of android that they ship, but thats a whole other debate.

We are about to roll out 5G and I don't even have indoor 2g or 3g available. Its so annoying.

Associate
Had a look in the vodafone app but it doesn't present the wifi calling option. I assume its just a front end for activating it in the underlying firmware and because my phone is generic the option is hidden in the vodafone app.

From what I can tell, Vodafone, EE and Three all now require you to be running their own brand of android in order to use wifi calling. Looks like they've all discontinued their apps for unsupported phones.

Not sure about O2 yet.

So frustrating because I need to be able to switch networks to get a remotely competitive deal but I appear to be locked in because of the fact that I can't get any signal..

If I was in the market for a handset I suppose I would have freedom of choice, but them I'm also fairly fed up with the bloated versions of android that they ship, but thats a whole other debate.

We are about to roll out 5G and I don't even have indoor 2g or 3g available. Its so annoying.
I think ee wifi calling works with any phone not just ones they provide

Soldato
Guess the phone needs to be able to support it to begin with, my S7 Edge is unlocked and the built in Wi-Fi calling works with Three (that's on sim only) with a press of a button.

Soldato
OP
Confused as to why my stock pixel 2 XL doesn't even have WiFi calling visible in the menus.

I'm on Android 9 with May 2019 patch.

Wondering at this rate if I should just allow the tariff to go up from £9 to £18 for a month or two and keep an eye out for Vodafone sales and any 6-12 month discounts. Without them the SIM only plans are frankly terrible value.

Not sure when the sales would traditionally be.

Still looking in to EE. Some of their support site does seem to suggest that they allow, but perhaps not actively support, WiFi calling on third party phones.

Soldato
The sure signal does connect via the internet so it relies on your bandwidth to operate but it's not WiFi. It connects to the router with a cable and then as I understand it emits a small 3g field, not a WiFi signal.

Goodness knows what the health implications could be in the long run of having a 3g cell in the house.

The health implications are negligible as a Femto cell will be emitting far less RF energy than the phone you hold next to your head does.

Soldato
OP
Found the option to enable WiFi Calling and VoLTE in the phone testing menu under *#*#4636#*#*

However it is greyed out and cannot be toggled on.

Soldato
Do you have 4G/LTE disabled on the phone via another menu setting? You need this enabled first before you can attempt to enable VoLTE.

It’s a little bit odd to have VoWiFi and VoLTE enablement via the one setting as despite they’re both being IMS features, they do use different radio protocols and hardware within the phone.

Soldato
OP
4G is on because obviously I use that for data when out and about but I don't get any signal at home.

It seems that neither VoLTE or WiFi calling appear in the generic pixel settings menus anymore after a previous update.

The only place I can find it is *#*#4636#*#*
Screenshot-20190527-130508.png

Non of these can be toggled on. Presumably in the absence of carrier settings?

I'll try it again when out and about somewhere with signal because while 4g is enabled I guess it's unavailable right now. The femtocell only puts out 3g at home.

Soldato
OP
So I spoke to EE.

They said that they will enable WiFi calling any third party phones however they'll only support it on models of phone that they also sold themselves and therefore they have proven settings for.

E.g. on my Pixel 2 XL, its a third party phone but as they also sold them, they have the settings and will push them out and troubleshoot if need be
however on my partners third party honor 10 they didn't ever sell that phone, they'll push out the settings but if they don't work they don't work

They also pointed out that there is a 14 day cooling off period should I wish to try and it not work out. However I would want to port my number so that could be messy in a cancellation situation.

Might try a PAYG sim from EE to test the wifi calling on both phones.

They also pointed out that although SMS would work, MMS would not.

No answer from Three yet about whether they would be willing to provide their femtocell or wifi calling on these phones.

Soldato
I have had issues with 3's signal in the past. At my old flat (despite being in London zone 1), I got no signal downstairs and very poor signal upstairs. I managed to convince them to send me a femtocell, but only by threatening to leave. However, the cell didn't work reliably all the time. When it was working, I could make and receive calls perfectly. When it wasn't working, the green LED was still lit, but the unit seemed to be disconnected from the outside world and wouldn't pass calls through.

I decided to switch to EE, and over the past six months the signal is generally better with faster 4G speeds too.

I've been able to get working WiFi calling on all 4 of the phones I've tried it on:

1) Pixel 2XL bought from Google last year
2) OnePlus 6 bought from O2 last year
3) S10 Snapdragon import
4) S10+ Exynos UK model

I'd suggest you pick up a PAYG SIM and give them a go. Their SIM only prices are on the high side, but discount codes surface occasionally. If you know anyone with PerksForWork I think they might be able to help you out.

Soldato
OP
Pixels support WiFI Calling onEE regardless of where you got it, but I’m not sure it will be supported on a PAYG sim.

Thats a good point, so its either switch or don't, there is no PAYG testing

Three have confirmed that the third party honor 10 will work on their wifi calling but have not committed to the pixel 2 xl yet, so basically they exact opposite of what EE said.

Back
Top Bottom