Can any Youtubers on here help?

Associate
I've got software that lets me create my own music, videos, animation and animated titles and want to have my own YouTube channel. I've already done a test video but want to do more. Are there any Youtubers on here who can help?

Man of Honour
Caveat: I am not a lawyer youtuber.

Help with what? There's nothing stopping you making more videos if you want to make more videos. Be prepared to (a) make many videos, (b) have hardly anyone watching them for ages and (c) fail.

If you somehow succeed in producing one extremely popular video early on, it will probably result in your channel failing to do much. The "one hit wonder" problem of music exists just as much with Youtube. Whatever you make afterwards will generally be perceived as either being not enough like the one hit or too much like the one hit or not as good as the one hit. Although whatever you do, you will probably fail. Youtube is about as saturated a market as you can possibly get. The best you can reasonably hope for is for it to be a hobby that makes you some pocket money in exhange for a disproportionate amount of work, so it had better be something you would be doing as a hobby anyway. Churning out videos is work, but if you don't enjoy doing it you're unlikely to find many people who enjoy watching that.

This chap is quite successful on Youtube (and now off it as well) and explains it better:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96C35uN7xGL1V_TCp5OLlkBl0qwjQ1Pl

The subtitle he gives the miniseries also says a lot: "Based on 15 years making things that are only sometimes popular on the internet". That's how it works - you need to make many things and not expect all of them to be popular. Or even most of them. Also, if you're not making a political channel, avoid politics at all cost. He made a political video after Trump was elected and it cost him a lot. He very quickly deleted it and makes no reference to it, hoping that everyone will forget it ever existed, and never refers to his political position on anything. If you make videos on something apolitical, you will attract viewers with different political views. If you then show some political position, you will alienate some of your viewers, whatever your political position is.

It's like many things - there's a lot of focus on the handful who make it big and none at all on the multitudes who don't. Hope to succeed. Expect to fail and plan accordingly.

Associate
OP
Caveat: I am not a lawyer youtuber.

Help with what? There's nothing stopping you making more videos if you want to make more videos. Be prepared to (a) make many videos, (b) have hardly anyone watching them for ages and (c) fail.

If you somehow succeed in producing one extremely popular video early on, it will probably result in your channel failing to do much. The "one hit wonder" problem of music exists just as much with Youtube. Whatever you make afterwards will generally be perceived as either being not enough like the one hit or too much like the one hit or not as good as the one hit. Although whatever you do, you will probably fail. Youtube is about as saturated a market as you can possibly get. The best you can reasonably hope for is for it to be a hobby that makes you some pocket money in exhange for a disproportionate amount of work, so it had better be something you would be doing as a hobby anyway. Churning out videos is work, but if you don't enjoy doing it you're unlikely to find many people who enjoy watching that.

This chap is quite successful on Youtube (and now off it as well) and explains it better:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96C35uN7xGL1V_TCp5OLlkBl0qwjQ1Pl

The subtitle he gives the miniseries also says a lot: "Based on 15 years making things that are only sometimes popular on the internet". That's how it works - you need to make many things and not expect all of them to be popular. Or even most of them. Also, if you're not making a political channel, avoid politics at all cost. He made a political video after Trump was elected and it cost him a lot. He very quickly deleted it and makes no reference to it, hoping that everyone will forget it ever existed, and never refers to his political position on anything. If you make videos on something apolitical, you will attract viewers with different political views. If you then show some political position, you will alienate some of your viewers, whatever your political position is.

It's like many things - there's a lot of focus on the handful who make it big and none at all on the multitudes who don't. Hope to succeed. Expect to fail and plan accordingly.

It's just a bit of gaming based videos and videos I've created with graphic design software. I can import psychedelic video footage from my smartphone (I had to use an app called psychedelic camera for the footage) and did dome of the music myself.

This is what I meant:-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yai0QZuwWt0

Associate
OP

I haven't given the day job up and don't want to be a massive YouTube star as I'd much rather keep my channel my own and make the videos I want to create

Soldato
To be successful you need to find an audience for whatever content you want to make. Given that the only video on your channel is an animated radial gradient with an 8-bit midi file it's hard to understand how you expect to build an audience, or even... why.

Soldato
If you search the forums there was a mega(ish) thread about Streaming/Recording (search for Recording Tips Exchange or something like that)...

The wife and I did a gaming channel for a little while... we had fun doing it and it was a great excuse to pickup a 2nd gaming PC for her but ultimately it was a waste of time... As others have said it is a lot of work and you're very unlikely to get anything much out of it - certainly you have to be incredibly lucky to breakthrough into territory where you could make any amount of money... but even simply trying to do it for the passion "to entertain" etc. it's very difficult to build any sort of momentum (especially if your subject matter is something saturated like gaming) - you'll be making videos for literally nobody to watch for years and years and years hoping for the extremely unlikely chance that one video blows up, and it's hard to stay motivated when it's so apparent that nobody cares about what you're doing

Soldato
I've got software that lets me create my own music, videos, animation and animated titles and want to have my own YouTube channel. I've already done a test video but want to do more. Are there any Youtubers on here who can help?
what is it exactly you want help with? i think you need to clarify that first then you'll get more advice.

Soldato
I haven't given the day job up and don't want to be a massive YouTube star as I'd much rather keep my channel my own and make the videos I want to create

This implies [to me] you expect to make a success, but the harsh reality is that there is a massive chance that you won't be any sort of Youtube star - as others have pointed out, the platform is just far too saturated. Most people giving it a go now, will likely struggle to make a microscopic scratch on the surface. There are some 'youtubers' that I have seen out there, with really amazing content, but less than 100 people following them - and only a handful of comments.

If the link above with 'trippy graphics' is what you expect to use, alongside captured gameplay, then I'd personally struggle to watch 10 seconds of your content - it would be turned off as fast as when someone starts their video with "what's up guys...." or "it's ya boy....". I'd also suspect that you might get copyright strikes coming thick and fast, if people notice your graphics are from this "psychedelic camera" app you mention - not to mention, I would anticipate you'd need something to cover the gameplay presented. Not a lawyer though, so might be talking out of my bum.

No idea on your age either, but I am aware that plenty of people in school/college likely still believe that being a 'youtuber' is a viable career, when it really isn't, that gravy train has long since passed imo.

Whatever you do though, best of luck, enjoy it - but really give it some though; as it'll be a lot of wasted time you could have better spent on friends/family/meaningful personal development.

Associate
OP
what is it exactly you want help with? i think you need to clarify that first then you'll get more advice.
This implies [to me] you expect to make a success, but the harsh reality is that there is a massive chance that you won't be any sort of Youtube star - as others have pointed out, the platform is just far too saturated. Most people giving it a go now, will likely struggle to make a microscopic scratch on the surface. There are some 'youtubers' that I have seen out there, with really amazing content, but less than 100 people following them - and only a handful of comments.

If the link above with 'trippy graphics' is what you expect to use, alongside captured gameplay, then I'd personally struggle to watch 10 seconds of your content - it would be turned off as fast as when someone starts their video with "what's up guys...." or "it's ya boy....". I'd also suspect that you might get copyright strikes coming thick and fast, if people notice your graphics are from this "psychedelic camera" app you mention - not to mention, I would anticipate you'd need something to cover the gameplay presented. Not a lawyer though, so might be talking out of my bum.

No idea on your age either, but I am aware that plenty of people in school/college likely still believe that being a 'youtuber' is a viable career, when it really isn't, that gravy train has long since passed imo.

Whatever you do though, best of luck, enjoy it - but really give it some though; as it'll be a lot of wasted time you could have better spent on friends/family/meaningful personal development.

Anybody know what the ration of failed channels compared to the successful ones is?
I admit the platform's overflowing with game play videos, cookery channels, how to videos, review channels and some videos of people making complete idiots of themselves getting thousands of hits, likes and subscribers and videos similar to my sample one but a lot of hard work goes into doing it from scratch if you do your own graphics, create your own titles from scratch without using templates.

The software I use is cheap but it's good (if you can use Garageband on the Apple Mac, you can use Magix Music
Maker on a Windows PC)

Associate
Without being nasty I'm pretty sure no body watching a YouTube vid sits there and thinks "this video is bad BUT in going to watch it because I can tell it was made from scratch and took a lot of time, then I'm going to tell all my friends about it"
If you want my advice start a toy review channel or a kinder egg toy review channel as stupid as it sounds with the amount of parents who use YouTube and Netflix as a baby sitter the toy reviews get stupid amounts of likes and subscribes it's insane. But if what you like doing is very niche then there is a good chance the audience is going to be very very small

Caporegime
Anybody know what the ration of failed channels compared to the successful ones is?
I admit the platform's overflowing with game play videos, cookery channels, how to videos, review channels and some videos of people making complete idiots of themselves getting thousands of hits, likes and subscribers and videos similar to my sample one but a lot of hard work goes into doing it from scratch if you do your own graphics, create your own titles from scratch without using templates.

The software I use is cheap but it's good (if you can use Garageband on the Apple Mac, you can use Magix Music
Maker on a Windows PC)

Answer the ******* questions ffs. What exactly do you want help with? You clearly know how Youtube works as you posted that video above, you have some fancy software on your phone and know how to add music, what do you want? Your thread is clear as mud.

And Magix music can do one, my first internet name was Mr Magix (right after I watched Hackers I might add) and that music program killed it.

All I'll say is that if you want to make any decent videos, you need to procure a copy of Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere and use that.

Soldato

Maker on a Windows PC)

The platform is very much overflowing with these [and other] things, it's also massively changed its rewards system (a fair few years back now) - making it even harder to turn any profit. Then you have the strike systems and censorship, which make some content very short lived; and channels being completely demonetized and hidden from view.

There were apparently over 22 million 'youtubers' in 2017 (Google Fu), of that, I would imagine a huge number will be gaming channels - and though I have no actual facts/figures/stats on it; once you cut down those who aren't English speaking - there are probably still hundreds of thousands, maybe millions you'd be competing against; and they may very well put in as much effort (maybe more) than you do - and still don't get anything back.

As I think a poster mentions above, do it as a hobby and don't expect anything in return. That way, you won't put all your efforts into it, and lose precious time you will never get back; for, what is hugely stacked against you, as being a complete zero return project.

If you enjoy making these graphics and whatnot, maybe offer your services to established 'youtubers' - but you'll likely experience the other side of these nonsensical 'professions' - the "influencers", who will probably offer you exposure for your hard work, and no payment.

Soldato
as someone else mentioned - what do you (not anyone else, you) deem to be a success or failure? i use my channel to export clips to. no one watches them, other than a handful of people i play with so in the grand scheme of things it's not 'successful' however it does exactly what i want it to do so for me is a runaway success.
so what are you asking for help with?
i don't like quoting myself - but it needs to be asked again. what exactly are you wanting help with?

it smells to me like you are just asking - how can i be a youtuber and make lots of monies?!

what you're target audience is (for example their age/sex etc) is going to have a big impact on any advice you get. what you want to 'showcase' is going to have a big impact on any advice you get. e.g. if you are planning on doing gaming videos and want to appeal to 30 somethings then ditch the psychedelic colours. if you're trying to appeal to 11 year olds with the attention span of a goldfish then it's probably fine.

you need to explain what exactly you want help with.

Associate
OP
Answer the ******* questions ffs. What exactly do you want help with? You clearly know how Youtube works as you posted that video above, you have some fancy software on your phone and know how to add music, what do you want? Your thread is clear as mud.

And Magix music can do one, my first internet name was Mr Magix (right after I watched Hackers I might add) and that music program killed it.

All I'll say is that if you want to make any decent videos, you need to procure a copy of Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere and use that.

I just want advice on how to go about getting a fairly decent channel going and how to make decent videos with limited sources.

Associate
OP
If you enjoy making these graphics and whatnot, maybe offer your services to established 'youtubers' - but you'll likely experience the other side of these nonsensical 'professions' - the "influencers", who will probably offer you exposure for your hard work, and no payment.

They want established proffessionals with a good profile and I don't have Photoshop (and it's the way Adobe go about things that put me off)

Back
Top Bottom