Dark Age of Camelot classic server could be a thing again.

Associate
Saw this and remember how much I loved (spent hours of my life hunting in the old frontiers) in this game.

https://www.darkageofcamelot.com/article/friday-grab-bag-05242019

Are there any plans to bring a classic server back or at least one without ToA?

Yes! Once Endless Conquest has launched we’d like to introduce some alternate ruleset “progression” servers.

The first of those will be a “Classic” + Shrouded Isles + Housing server that will only progress to newer content if its player-base votes to do so.

Depending on how that server goes, we’d love to be able to introduce various other alternative ruleset servers.

Associate
OP
I used to love DAoC back in the day but I couldn't imagine participating in such a grind fest ever again.

I know what you mean. My first Character was a Fire Wizard, things got really slow after level 40 so thought I would make an alt and went for an Infiltrator. The Infiltrator was my first character I got to level 50, but it was a nightmare to level in the game. Most of it was solo levelling, did some group levelling at the pygmy goblins in Lyonesse.

Playing on the Lancelot server and due to the time difference (American servers) made going out solo into the frontiers at level 45+ a lot safer. Taking out some Hibernian casters that were trying to get that last couple of levels whilst it was quiet was fun.

After the Trial of Atlantis expansion, I did find myself playing less and less. At one point I swapped over to Hibernia to create a Ranger to play in the battle grounds. Molvik was a blast with the Ranger and I would definitely do that again on a classic server.

So, would I do it again? Yes, I think I would, it was difficult to level the Infiltrator but the satisfaction you get when you hit level 50. Throw in some BG action and it will keep me interested for a while.

Man of Honour
I played on Guinevere , on Midgard, as a Dwarf Healer :D

Probably my favourite MMO to date, looking back now, just slightly pipping Ultima Online.

Soldato
Yeah ToA killed it for me too. The grind was heavy and at that point getting or even forming groups was a right pain. Easily the best 3D MMO I've ever played - just wish I had time to set aside for one nowadays.

Man of Honour
Thought this was getting rebooted

https://camelotunchained.com/v3/

Camelot Unchained is quite a different beast from Daoc. In Unchained there is no levelling through PvE, in fact the PvE side of things is barely there really, there are no dungeon raids with bosses at the bottom of them etc, instead its a game which is very much emphasized on RvR, rather than the near perfect PvE/RvR balance that Daoc achieved.

Soldato
I played a classic thing not that long ago I thought, has that died a death? The pain of solo grinding really put me off on that one. I just don't have the time to dedicate. DAoC is still my all time most played and favourite game.

Soldato
Yeah ToA killed it for me too. The grind was heavy and at that point getting or even forming groups was a right pain. Easily the best 3D MMO I've ever played - just wish I had time to set aside for one nowadays.

I liked TOA, was great with a good community BUT the time on each raid was insane and I found the whole thing rather confusing. It was basically a whole new game on it's own but needlessly complicated.

I don't think I could get back into DAOC though, I kickstarter backed Camelot Unchained years ago (seems to be a thing for me backing games that never come out or take a decade) but I doubt I'll be able to play that when it eventually does as it sounds more and more like it'll need huge game sessions.

Soldato
I played a classic thing not that long ago I thought, has that died a death? The pain of solo grinding really put me off on that one. I just don't have the time to dedicate. DAoC is still my all time most played and favourite game.

Always need a duo at least, I never saw it as a solo game (except PVP to a degree). I did try it a few years ago and met one of my old friends still playing but the game felt so slow and grindy with too much down time. It was actually the downtime that was the main problem if I'm honest..

Soldato
I couldn't get a group, would never set out to solo in DAoC. Even if i had time to play i don't think i'd play a modern MMO so would have to be something like this for me.

Back
Top Bottom