House Hairline Cracks

Soldato
There is no cracking outside - the bricks and mortar look in very good condition.

I was just worried because there is some kind of cracking in about 7 rooms, hallway and landing.

The one in the hallway is really noticeable - I can’t believe I would have missed it as I was looking at wall condition. That was 8 weeks ago

Most modern houses are built internally out of timber with only the outer leaf being built from brick. (And that is pretty much only for cosmetic reasons, the internal timber structure is perfectly capable of supporting itself on its own, an additional weatherproof external timber leaf would work just fine but unlike the US, is not considered acceptable by UK buyers)

Timber moves, shrinks, expands, flexes, and so on.

Plasterboard does not, You will inevitably end up with cracks where adjacent sheets of plasterboard but up against one another.

I cant really see any of those lionear cracks being a problem.

I would only be concerned about the cracks around the windows and doors if the internal walls are made from masonry. If they are timber leaf/plasterboard too, then there is no problem.

Soldato
Yeah, they flex a lot too, cracks around modern windows and doors are not uncommon.

Mainly because original windows would have had a timber lintel a as discussed, timber is flexible and plastic is not. So when people have double glazing put in and the original timber lintel removed, you end up with cracks externally (especially to rendered or pebble dashed properties) which are perfectly normal albeit ugly.

Soldato
I'm go ping through a subsidence claim at the moment and they don't look anything like mine. That only one that's similar is the one on the window coming down from the corner.

Mine are cracking outside as well as the
Inside

Soldato
I can understand you're worry I've done the same, it looks cosmetic like everyone has said, even the coving will show cracks in the filler/caulk where they are joined. I put mine up during the winter and they have hair line cracks already

If you fill and paint they will come back, summer to winter, winter to summer everything expands and contracts it's pretty normal especially if painted straight to plaster, when the plaster gets older it gets worse, that's why people use lining paper or you have to replaster

Soldato
I can understand you're worry I've done the same, it looks cosmetic like everyone has said, even the coving will show cracks in the filler/caulk where they are joined. I put mine up during the winter and they have hair line cracks already

If you fill and paint they will come back, summer to winter, winter to summer everything expands and contracts it's pretty normal especially if painted straight to plaster, when the plaster gets older it gets worse, that's why people use lining paper or you have to replaster

Or go to the hassle I did. Use fibretape, skim over, sand almost flat and then paint. But the movement will still be there!

Soldato
Pro tip - scrape out the immediate crack and fill with caulking - it is semi-elastic so will bond and stretch at the plasterboard joins = very little chance of further cracking.

Worst case is, replaster/replasterboard.

Soldato
OP
Hi there noticed some more cracks this time going up the wall - this one behind the radiator on outside wall in dining room. The first picture is wear skirting is behind radiator / next is from above radiator and thirst is viewing above that...…. Is this okay?

And this one in the lounge in the corner of the room going up. Strange to have crack in corner... Is it okay?

Back
Top Bottom