Lord Brookman, who never spoke in Lords last year claims £50,000 expenses

Associate
Ah thanks @ratface, its' always how I've felt about the 'appointment' of the prime minister. That guys as, most case, been elected in a single county/town and is bombarded PM at some point by playing the right game of vacant chairs. He's pushing policies decided by a bunch off (non elected) polit bureau and he'll be pushing *these* down onto the neck of *elected* MPs, even if these policies are 100% contrary of what the people who elected them would want.

As far as Lords are concerned, I *prefer* the hereditary ones. They might be next to useless, but they can't be corrupted by extra honours given by the party that place them there. Basically most fo them might be useless, but a certain numbers *must* be on the ball and the only thing who can put a brake on the knee jerk reaction governing from the tabloids. One can always hope that that sort of added inertia helps.

Soldato
I dont have a problem with the HOL or the fact this guy earnt 50k (in London as well), spending the time weighing up the stuff coming through from the HoC and when complete utter rubbish sending it back for a rethink....

In fact for those people running the country I'd pay them much more than £50k - its an important job and not a "getting value for money" type of thing....

Caporegime
I dont have a problem with the HOL or the fact this guy earnt 50k (in London as well), spending the time weighing up the stuff coming through from the HoC and when complete utter rubbish sending it back for a rethink....

In fact for those people running the country I'd pay them much more than £50k - its an important job and not a "getting value for money" type of thing....
Don't they mostly just tow party lines... hence each outgoing PM trying to pack in as many new lords from his party as he can get away with. And why the numbers ballooned a bit recently.

If they mostly vote along party lines then there isn't a huge purpose that they fulfil.

Back
Top Bottom