Neighbour extension...

Soldato
Whats the rest of the street scene look like? Is the extension likely to make it look like a row of terraces? If so you could attack it from the angle of materially impacting the street scene but even then it's likely they would only make them set it back from the building line and lower than the existing ridge.

Soldato
OP
Whats the rest of the street scene look like? Is the extension likely to make it look like a row of terraces? If so you could attack it from the angle of materially impacting the street scene but even then it's likely they would only make them set it back from the building line and lower than the existing ridge.

As you should be able to see, their neighbour has a huge house less than a metre from their own house, which will mimic their own dimensions. So in essence, the planning application, if passed, would turn the opposite side of the road into a wall of brick.

Soldato
IjSee how next door is set back and lower? That's the best you can probably hope for.

You've got no overlooking issue and your light is highly unlikely to be changed given that it must be 20-25m away. View as stated is immaterial but looking at the picture it's not that much anyway. I can't see an objection being upheld really but you never know if enough people get in on the act and it gets political.

Neighbours withholding access won't prevent anything. Bricks can be laid overhand from the owners side, it just means they'll be looking at a dog's dinner of an unpointed wall.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not much of a leg to stand on, as their neighbour has extended in basically the same fashion.
Take a photo sat in your living room (assuming its the living room) from a normal seating position pointing camera out the window towards the house that will be extended and share it here..

Extensions like this are par for the course, I think the only objection you might have would be the bit sticking forward of the front of the house.

But honestly, how much of an impact is it really going to have on you? Am guessing your front garden and setback is similar to theirs.. Once its finished you will barely notice the difference!

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to say it but I don't really see how that's going to cause you any issues in terms of view, light or affecting the price of your house. Equally, I can't really understand why the neighbours to the side have an issue either, other than that it will be a slightly more imposing brick wall at the end of their garden than the one they currently have.

Soldato
Sorry to say it but I don't really see how that's going to cause you any issues in terms of view, light or affecting the price of your house. Equally, I can't really understand why the neighbours to the side have an issue either, other than that it will be a slightly more imposing brick wall at the end of their garden than the one they currently have.

Suppose it depends on the directions but they'll possibly lose the sun earlier in the day with the new extension but either way i don't think they have any genuine grounds for complaint.

Soldato
looking at the pics, I think you're on very shaky ground, there's hardly a great, expansive view there and the distance to the other house would suggest that there will be zero impact on daylighting. So now it comes down to how much you want to fall out with your neighbours as it's more likely to look like a moan rather than a valid planning objection (objections are public too so you can't be anonymous)

(also if you're worried about daylighting, put some new timber windows in without the astragals and you'll have a hell of a lot more glass to frame ratio)

Soldato
OP
Suppose it depends on the directions but they'll possibly lose the sun earlier in the day with the new extension but either way i don't think they have any genuine grounds for complaint.

I think their plans are pretty reasonable. Your view isn't really that badly affected.

This unfortunately OP barely any impact

looking at the pics, I think you're on very shaky ground, there's hardly a great, expansive view there and the distance to the other house would suggest that there will be zero impact on daylighting. So now it comes down to how much you want to fall out with your neighbours as it's more likely to look like a moan rather than a valid planning objection (objections are public too so you can't be anonymous)

(also if you're worried about daylighting, put some new timber windows in without the astragals and you'll have a hell of a lot more glass to frame ratio)

Yea, we arrived at that same conclusion too. It’s change, which is what we were against, but it would hardly stop it going through and would only serve to cause unrest and stress.

Back
Top Bottom