Windows Subsystem for Linux

Associate
Sorry didn't know whether to post this here or over on the Linux threads, so as it has windows in the title first I will post here (mods feel free to move if I am wrong)
So can someone explain why I would use this rather than going down creating a Linux partition and doing a manual install the old way ?
Thanks

Associate
WSL is essentially a lightweight bash terminal so you can run CLI linux commands within windows, it's not a full Linux installation. Whilst it's possible to get a GUI up and running, it's quite tricky and it's not really what it's designed for.

Imo if you're looking to run the odd bash script from windows then use WSL. If you're looking for anything more than that you should either dual boot or setup a virtual machine.

Associate
OP
WSL is essentially a lightweight bash terminal so you can run CLI linux commands within windows, it's not a full Linux installation. Whilst it's possible to get a GUI up and running, it's quite tricky and it's not really what it's designed for.

Imo if you're looking to run the odd bash script from windows then use WSL. If you're looking for anything more than that you should either dual boot or setup a virtual machine.
Thanks I am running a dual boot mint but had never heard of this so just wondered what it was

Soldato
Thanks I am running a dual boot mint but had never heard of this so just wondered what it was

You can also use WSL for programming on Linux. Visual Studio 2019 supports developing Linux applications on Windows 10 using WSL which is quite cool. It'll use the Linux toolchain for that.

Back
Top Bottom