Plusnet

NE5

NE5

Associate
Hello....my BT capped broadband deal ends next month. It is costing me £8 a month for 15gb capped plus line rental which i pay annually in advance.

Ive had this package for years now but last year I had to fight hard to retain this deal and insist I kept my router as they tried to make me have a new one for 60 quid.

So Im thinking of changing. Plusnet do an unlimited package for 19.99 are they good or bad and is there any catches to look out for alternative deals. The unlimited package appeals to me now and I have got quite close to my limit a couple of times.

Soldato
Plusnet are owned by BT, like for like, you’ll not find any difference in the core service, unlike with BT you don’t have to pay for VIP to get UK CS/faults. Use Quidco/TCB for even better deals.

Soldato
Just in the process of switching from BT to PlusNet myself. Hub arrived this morning prior to switch-on Wednesday. Too early to comment about connection and reliability but thus far they have been pretty good and kept me informed at every step. Their call handlers are friendly and helpful and so far have picked up the phone within 30 seconds or so of me ringing.

I had a call from BT just after I cancelled (Basically an apology for screwing up yet again) The manager even commented "You'll be absolutely fine with PlusNet. It's all our infrastructure anyway, you shouldn't notice any difference"

The hub they supplied actually looks like the same one I already have with my BT connection, only it's white instead of black...

Associate
I like plusnet, the time to judge them comes when you have an issue that needs to be dealt with.

After coming from Virgin, let me tell you it's nice to speak to someone from the UK who knows what they are doing and doesn't promise things that don't ever happen!! :)

Soldato
Was with Plusnet for a couple of years and found them fine with no issues. Only went with BT broadband for the Galaxy Tab/£80 reward card/£120 cashback offer. Will jump ship again when this contract runs out.

Soldato
Well switch over to PlusNet was seamless. Couple of txt messages to give me the heads-up and it was all done and dusted in a few minutes. One thing I did forget is that with BT you get McAfee antivirus free. So any suggestions for an alternative gratefully appreciated. Are the "Free" ones any good? Avast, AVG, etc??

Soldato
Cheers. I had noticed that, it doesn't look a bad deal.

I just wondered if any of the free antivirus software was worth a go, and what folk are tending to use as their go-to anti-virus software? I'm simply running with Windows defender at the mo. (I've used McAfee for as long as I can remember)

Associate
Cheers. I had noticed that, it doesn't look a bad deal.
I just wondered if any of the free antivirus software was worth a go, and what folk are tending to use as their go-to anti-virus software? I'm simply running with Windows defender at the mo. (I've used McAfee for as long as I can remember)

Windows Defender Antivirus built in to Windows 10 is all you need. Don't bother with anything else.

Soldato
Windows Defender Antivirus built in to Windows 10 is all you need. Don't bother with anything else.

Is that really the case??

I know going back a few years Microsoft Security Essentials got panned from all quarters as not being up to much. In truth I switched to McAfee as it came bundled for free and was too lazy to switch to anythings else. From what very little I've read, Windows Defender has moved the game on, and is supposed to be pretty good. But is it really good enough as a free stand-alone. Or do the bespoke apps actually do a better job albeit at a cost to the punter, or is it sales-hype?

Associate
Is that really the case??
I know going back a few years Microsoft Security Essentials got panned from all quarters as not being up to much. In truth I switched to McAfee as it came bundled for free and was too lazy to switch to anythings else. From what very little I've read, Windows Defender has moved the game on, and is supposed to be pretty good. But is it really good enough as a free stand-alone. Or do the bespoke apps actually do a better job albeit at a cost to the punter, or is it sales-hype?

See here:

https://www.av-test.org/en/antiviru...-2019/microsoft-windows-defender-4.18-191415/

Soldato
Cheers for that, not seen that site before. While not the best, it looks like it's good-enough and improving test by test. I'll fly with it, at least for the time-being. Cheers for the advice and info..:)

Back
Top Bottom