Moving from one Android phone to another

Soldato
I'm moving from an Honor 9 Lite to a Samsung A70. I've been wanting something bigger for a while, and with the Samsung at £369 less trade-in of a very old Android phone of £100 and then a £60 cashback, leaving a cost of just £209, on impulse I bought it. I hope I don't regret the in-screen fingerprints scanner ! Apart from size, the Honor 9 Lite is superb.

Anyway - I've never done this move/transfer before on Andriod. Is it just a case of backing up the Honor first, then on the A70 logging on with the same Google account, and it will pull everything back, including SMS and call history ? That easy ? This article seems to suggest so:
https://www.androidcentral.com/how-restore-your-apps-and-settings-new-android-phone

And will both phones run OK with the same account for a few days while I get everything sorted ? Once everything is up and running and I'm happy, I'll do a re-set of the Honor and use a different account, and possibly pass it to a family member or something.

Soldato
I've had two phones running the same Google account no prob, will get a notification saying some device has logged in is this OK sort of thing.

Man of Honour
I have two Android phones. I didn't even bother backing up. I just logged into the new phone and downloaded the apps I wanted. Backing up would obviously be easier overall though.

Soldato
OP
I restored the backup. It brought over all the Huawei apps that I then had to uninstall. Still a lot of work to do in setting up the email accounts in Outlook and Gmail for example, and getting the home screens similar. It brought in the call history but not the SMS history unfortunately. I'll try the Samsung app for that.

Soldato
I move between devices fairly regularly. I run SMS Backup and Restore to generate an XML file of SMS messages on the old phone, which I import to the new phone over Bluetooth.

WhatsApp backup gets done to Google Drive, and then I restore it on the new phone during the WhatsApp setup process.

Otherwise I set up everything else myself.

Back
Top Bottom