27GL850G-B / 38GL950G-B When and how much?

Associate
Associate
After reading through various forums, I'm surprised how many people are now no longer going to buy the 27GL850 since the G-SYNC was removed, I thought I was in the minority with that opinion.
Unless whatever way they are achieving the 1ms response times doesn't need Variable Overdrive, or has no issues with overshoot, then I don't mind paying more for what G-SYNC offers.

Associate
They are also listing the 38GL950G for 2650$ / 2350€. I would take their prices as placeholders, atleast for the 38" version. There is no way a monitor that is only HDR400 and lack FALD will go for that much.

Source:
https://www.inet.se/produkt/2215353/lg-38-38gl950g-qhd-curved-nano-ips-175hz

That certainly could be a possibility, but placeholder prices are usually higher than the actual ones, thats what makes me think that the price for the 27gl850 could be accurate.

After reading through various forums, I'm surprised how many people are now no longer going to buy the 27GL850 since the G-SYNC was removed, I thought I was in the minority with that opinion.
Unless whatever way they are achieving the 1ms response times doesn't need Variable Overdrive, or has no issues with overshoot, then I don't mind paying more for what G-SYNC offers.

I also would ve preferred G-sync , since i am still using a gtx 980ti and am a little worried about the strong overdrive they might've needed to apply to achieve that 1ms gtg and the overshoot it might create at lower framerates. Maybe they managed to incorporate variable OD in a freesync monitor? But thats wishful thinking probably.

Associate
I'm hoping we at least find out whether there's plans for a G-SYNC version soon, I haven't been playing games for the last 6 months while waiting for a new monitor, I don't want to hold off on a new monitor on just the off chance there might be a G-SYNC SKU.

Permabanned
Whilst I'd prefer a proper G-Sync version, I've never experienced G-Sync and I'll be upgrading from an old 22" 1200p 60Hz TN, so I'm sure I'll be very pleased with this monitor as long as it doesn't have bad bleed and overshoot.

Associate
Is there a plan for a G-Sync version? I don’t mind paying more for quality. Won’t get it if it’s G-Sync compatible.

Associate
I wonder if Daniel is going to find out for us. I also think there's a possibility they're planning a G-SYNC version that will also have the Sphere Lighting on it since they modified the housing yet still kept the ring on the back just without the lights. They do have the 27GL650F and they could have gone with that design as well, but maybe to streamline the product for another SKU they kept the design of the back the same.

Associate
Why LG? WHY? https://hexus.net/tech/news/monitor...oaUyKy1u2oeeD76jX_q7jSRYb39nz6Nv4CNl61Apc0IKg
You think this costs $2000? All LG did here was:
- Added G-Sync module
- Added DisplayPort 1.4
- OCed the monitor and tweaked the brightness only just a little bit to get to 450nits (enough to get HDR400 certified)
- called it a day.
I expected AT LEAST HDR1000. This isn't worth even $1500. What were you thinking LG? Pretty much every outlet out there has said "HDR400" isn't really "HDR". It's actually a JOKE of an HDR.
Make that monitor FreeSync 2 with HDR1000 and you got my cash. I'm writing off that 38GL950G as "overpriced" for what it offers.

What I am actually looking for is -
A 38" monitor with resolution of 5120x2160 @ 100Hz, FreeSync 2 (Only just G-Sync compatible), HDR1000, IPS panel, local dimming.

Associate
Why LG? WHY? https://hexus.net/tech/news/monitor...oaUyKy1u2oeeD76jX_q7jSRYb39nz6Nv4CNl61Apc0IKg
You think this costs $2000? All LG did here was:
- Added G-Sync module
- Added DisplayPort 1.4
- OCed the monitor and tweaked the brightness only just a little bit to get to 450nits (enough to get HDR400 certified)
- called it a day.
I expected AT LEAST HDR1000. This isn't worth even $1500. What were you thinking LG? Pretty much every outlet out there has said "HDR400" isn't really "HDR". It's actually a JOKE of an HDR.
Make that monitor FreeSync 2 with HDR1000 and you got my cash. I'm writing off that 38GL950G as "overpriced" for what it offers.

A 38" monitor with resolution of 5120x2160 @ 100Hz, FreeSync 2 (Only just G-Sync compatible), HDR1000, IPS panel, local dimming.

I have to agree 2000$ is too close to the upcoming FALD VA G-sync monitors, which will (according to AOC for the AG353UCG) cost around 1800-2200$. That said 499$ for the 27gl850 sounds pretty good.

Associate

DisplayHDR 1000 doesn't guarantee a meaningful HDR experience. It could be two dimming zones, for instance.

35"-37,5" 3840 x 1600 monitor with 960 mini-LED based dimming zones would be cool at the moment.

Soldato
DisplayHDR 1000 doesn't guarantee a meaningful HDR experience. It could be two dimming zones, for instance.

In practice, that's extremely unlikely. The VESA DisplayHDR 1000 level has something called the Corner Box Test. This mandates a central black level of 0.05 cd/m2 whilst the monitor is simultaneously displaying white boxes at the corners of the screen that are at least 600 cd/m2. That wouldn't be possible without effective local dimming (certianly more than 2 dimming zones) or extremely strong native contrast.

It's absolutely right that you could have a very good VESA DisplayHDR 600 implementation and a relatively poor VESA DisplayHDR 1000 implementation. The Philips 436M6VBPAB mentioned earlier on this thread is actually awful in its VESA DisplayHDR 1000 mode, because it completely destroys black levels in practice. It's much more competent in its VESA DisplayHDR 600 level 'Normal' mode, even though it is technically VESA DisplayHDR 1000 compliant.

Associate
I have to agree 2000$ is too close to the upcoming FALD VA G-sync monitors, which will (according to AOC for the AG353UCG) cost around 1800-2200$. That said 499$ for the 27gl850 sounds pretty good.

That I would agree with. The 27-inch does sound pretty good for its price... Although Id be more willing to pay $400 for it instead.

In practice, that's extremely unlikely. The VESA DisplayHDR 1000 level has something called the Corner Box Test. This mandates a central black level of 0.05 cd/m2 whilst the monitor is simultaneously displaying white boxes at the corners of the screen that are at least 600 cd/m2. That wouldn't be possible without effective local dimming (certianly more than 2 dimming zones) or extremely strong native contrast.

It's absolutely right that you could have a very good VESA DisplayHDR 600 implementation and a relatively poor VESA DisplayHDR 1000 implementation. The Philips 436M6VBPAB mentioned earlier on this thread is actually awful in its VESA DisplayHDR 1000 mode, because it completely destroys black levels in practice. It's much more competent in its VESA DisplayHDR 600 level 'Normal' mode, even though it is technically VESA DisplayHDR 1000 compliant.

I wonder if LG had issue implementing the HDR600 because of G-Sync module or were they just lazy? I am pretty sure that if they were to make this monitor with just FreeSync, they would have done a much better job on that HDR. Afterall, the new G-Sync FPGA costs around $500 alone? The price of the monitor was getting pretty steep so implementing a better HDR support perhaps wasn't an option. The monitor would have sold for $1500 without G-Sync.

Associate
The VESA DisplayHDR 1000 level has something called the Corner Box Test. This mandates a central black level of 0.05 cd/m2 whilst the monitor is simultaneously displaying white boxes at the corners of the screen that are at least 600 cd/m2.

Never heard of it. Can a monitor with 3 zones pass such a test?

Soldato
Never heard of it. Can a monitor with 3 zones pass such a test?

Very unlikely, because then the non-central dimming zones would need to be very bright (for the bright corners) and it would flood the central zone that's supposed to be black. I'm not sure what the minimum number of zones you could technically get away with and "pass" VESA DisplayHDR 1000 certification would be. But it's likely something like 32 zones even for a VA model with strong native contrast. Perhaps fewer if the panel has exceptional native contrast (5000:1+).

Associate
Very unlikely, because then the non-central dimming zones would need to be very bright (for the bright corners) and it would flood the central zone that's supposed to be black. I'm not sure what the minimum number of zones you could technically get away with and "pass" VESA DisplayHDR 1000 certification would be. But it's likely something like 32 zones even for a VA model with strong native contrast. Perhaps fewer if the panel has exceptional native contrast (5000:1+).

You can make each of the 3 zones with multiple mini-LEDs. It won't make much sense, but will not significantly flood neighboring zones.

The upcoming ASUS PG27UQX has 576 zones with 4 mini-LEDs each (which makes much more sense in comparison).

Back
Top Bottom