How much do screen protectors help glare in the sun?

Soldato
I've never bothered with a screen protector before but recently bought this for my ipad

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Screen-Protector-Apple-2-Pack-Clear/dp/B00FDIKV3A

We're off on holiday and i was planning on using the ipad to read kindle books. However i'm wondering how annoying that's going to be given i'll be sat in the sun. I don't really want to end up trying to shade the screen to be able to read easily and not strain my eyes like i sometimes do when viewing my phone outside or having to turn the brightness up really high.

Will a screen protector help and make it more readable?

My other option is to just go and buy an actual kindle. The new ones are cheap enough that if i don't use it much after my holiday it's not a huge waste.

Soldato
Can you read the screen on your iPad whilst wearing decent sunglasses?

That’s the problem I have with iThings even before adding screen protectors, I can’t read the screens with sunglasses on and I can’t be out in the sun without sunglasses for more than 10 minutes without getting a migraine.

I’d take your favourite sunglasses to the nearest seller of Kindles and try using a basic version.

The other advantage of Kindles is that people don’t tend to steal them if you leave one poolside and they’re for cheaper to replace if you drown one.

Soldato
OP
Good point on the sunglasses. I have polarised ones, but have found my current phone is much less affected than my older one with polarised lenses. So was assuming that was less of an issue these days.

My wife has a kindle paperwhite. Whilst that has a better resolution i assume it would be similar and i know she never has an issue.

Soldato
As above, just been away in the sun and you'll need screen brightness on max to be able to see whats on the screen. It's readable, although if you're intending to sit there for a few hours to read a book then it'll be miles better on a kindle. Those things work wonders in the sun.

Associate
My wife has a kindle paperwhite. Whilst that has a better resolution i assume it would be similar and i know she never has an issue.

Backlit devices like tablets and phones need to put the tiny little lights underneath the screen on full blast to compete with the light of the sun, which I'm sure you can imagine it doesn't fare very well in that fight.

E-readers and e-ink technology on the other hand are more like an etch-a-sketch, so it doesn't need any light from the device to be visible in sunlight, and the matte screens on e-readers also helps.

Back
Top Bottom