I'm not sure what I'm asking for Exists?

Associate
Hi all,

Before i start to rant on, I do apologise...

My boss approached me today and asked if the below was possible.

We have a team of around twenty staff all in an office setting. My boss is wondering if there is a piece of software or product where he can ping over something from his computer to someone else computer.

This could be social media content, imagery etc etc

He's basically wanting to share something off his pc and send it instantly to another members of staff PC but with a simplistic fluid approach.

I'm aware there is Teamviewer where he could share his complete PC as a remote access route but is they something better for what he is needing please?

Man of Honour
Hi all,

Before i start to rant on, I do apologise...

My boss approached me today and asked if the below was possible.

We have a team of around twenty staff all in an office setting. My boss is wondering if there is a piece of software or product where he can ping over something from his computer to someone else computer.

This could be social media content, imagery etc etc

He's basically wanting to share something off his pc and send it instantly to another members of staff PC but with a simplistic fluid approach.

I'm aware there is Teamviewer where he could share his complete PC as a remote access route but is they something better for what he is needing please?

Why dont you use unc admin shares, so set up a recieve folder on every machine and on the sending machine a simple unc admin share to that path.

So machine 1 (your bosses machine) you have a folder in the root of c called recieve. This folder is at location \\machine1\c$\receive. In your machine you have a shortcut to that folder.

This is doable with simple network shares and could easily be configured in DFS, you could even save the admin burden and roll the folders out with group policy. Mind you this is also the sort of mess you dont want, multiple versions of same files all over the show and on every machine, it's an administration nightmare and is the reason businesses use centralised file servers and document management systems.

There are a million ways of achieving what you want from sharepoint to iManage to file servers and unc shares. Unless I'm missing something and you dont have a domain (unc is possible on non domain / workgroup machines) or central file storage (get a nas). This is base business functionality and looking beyond what windows networking provides would be the wrong move for something so simple (unless your looking at a DMS like sharepoint/imanage).

FWIW I often work on big batches of images for design filings for our attorneys, part of that process is creating several versions of images seperated into different folders, these can be quite large so I'll often bring them local from a central share, from there I'll work on them for several days and once finished I'll often drop the files onto the attorneys desktop by unc to the machine then notify them by email that there is a folder on their desktop ready for review and upload into our dms/epo (European patent office) etc etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
skype? email? It's all designed to send information between people, however, I get the impression he just wants to select item, click something, select a name and send...

You could look at Greenshot for screenshots, very simple to use or maybe autohotkey?

Soldato
From your description you've basically described email and/or instant messaging type software. So outlook, skype (for business), teams (replaced skype mostly).

Back
Top Bottom