Personal loan £20k <3%

Soldato
Just to check because I don't think it's been mentioned or asked, but what do you need it for?

If it's for a purchase (as opposed to something like building work) you might be better off looking at a few credit cards instead if your credit score is any good.

Caporegime
Interest rates are so low at the moment there is almost zero point in saving up.

Other than if you get hit by a big bill and then need a second loan to pay for that.

Boiler beaks or engine goes on car, etc. Roof needs replaced on house.

There are potentially millions of downsides to owing £20k to someone.

I have paid cash for everything in my home, paid cash for car too. The only loan I had was for solar panels which I paid off early and within a few months I wanted to get it before FIT was reduced so made sense to buy now and pay off as soon as possible, an avr as there was an offer at the time and the mortgage. Even rental property I own was paid cash.

The most important thing is what does he need the money for. Without knowing that you could never comment on whether it would be a good idea taking a loan or saving instead. Also without knowing his personal situation and finances either.

Soldato
Personal loan, not even once.

It's the one thing i wish i never did, i was literally press-ganged into it by my ex-wife before we split to pay off credit cards, but i knew she would refill the cards and then we'd be back to square with paying a loan on top of that. What a stupid woman. The only loan you should ever have is a mortgage

There are literally no downsides to a properly structured loan.

Paying interest. losing money.

Soldato
Interest only becomes an issue when you pay the absolute minimum. With decent APR rates and paying a good chunk then the interest will be negligible.

Even at the lowest rates available and the shortest loan terms, the OP's example is still going to cost several hundred pounds in interest.
Whether that's a "negligible" amount or not is up to you I suppose.

Soldato
To everyone saying you should never have a loan, ever - Get a grip.

Responsible lending with a good product is a perfectly acceptable way to bridge a financial gap.

I got a relatively small personal loan to buy a family friendly car I would have otherwise struggled to pay outright. The interest paid over 3 years is absolutely minimal and is far outweighed by the fact I could get the car I wanted right there right then. A very small price to pay for massive benefit.

Soldato
It's the one thing i wish i never did, i was literally press-ganged into it by my ex-wife before we split to pay off credit cards, but i knew she would refill the cards and then we'd be back to square with paying a loan on top of that. What a stupid woman. The only loan you should ever have is a mortgage

Paying interest. losing money.
We have a Mr perfect in the house fells lol

Soldato
To everyone saying you should never have a loan, ever - Get a grip.

Responsible lending with a good product is a perfectly acceptable way to bridge a financial gap.

I got a relatively small personal loan to buy a family friendly car I would have otherwise struggled to pay outright. The interest paid over 3 years is absolutely minimal and is far outweighed by the fact I could get the car I wanted right there right then. A very small price to pay for massive benefit.

Indeed.

Some people (and for some, read most) don't have tens of thousands to hand and if they need something done (not talking wanting a new phone) then paying off X a month over a period of time is the only way to afford large sums.

As long as you know what you are getting yourself into, are not over extending your finances or using loans etc just to live then there is nothing wrong with using a loan to deal with large payments.

Soldato
the headline APR only applies to 51% of applicants.
if your credit score isn't outstanding, you're unlikely to get the headline rate.
unfortunately, you won't know what rate you'll get offered until you make an application - damaging your credit score in the process...

tl;dr: who knows? headline APR doesn't always apply.

FWIW: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cheap-personal-loans/

Yep, and it isn't always to do with credit scores either. Mine is 999 with low overall debt. Applied for a 10k loan at 2.9% a couple of years back and got declined.

The next time I applied for a loan, I had more debt as I had more on the credit card at the time and got accepted.

They also say any rejections get logged, yet when I queried this with experian they had no record of me ever being declined for anything.

I've now become debt free (well, still have the mortgage) and enjoying that feeling whilst it lasts (new kitchen at some point though, so who knows).

Soldato
We have a Mr perfect in the house fells lol

Oh look at that, feel better after you're little comment big man?

Or perhaps I had parents that gave a **** and taught me good money management because we had to look after the pennies due to be quite poor growing up. It's why a strongly advocate financial education in schools.

Soldato
Oh look at that, feel better after you're little comment big man?

Or perhaps I had parents that gave a **** and taught me good money management because we had to look after the pennies due to be quite poor growing up. It's why a strongly advocate financial education in schools.

There is nothing wrong with borrowing money, i don't know why you frown upon it, i put a new kitchen in last year borrowed some money to speed up the works, no big deal. all paid off within a year :)

Associate
There is nothing wrong with borrowing money, i don't know why you frown upon it, i put a new kitchen in last year borrowed some money to speed up the works, no big deal. all paid off within a year :)

100% this.

I'd add that good money management includes the use of debt at times, like a mortgage for example.

Back
Top Bottom