Upgrade i5 and GTX 1070

Associate
Hi all, collective wisdom required pls!

I have a 2 year old OC PC, spec below which I am generally very happy with. However, a recent upgrade to a 34” ultra wide Monitor has it pushing hard to display all those pixels at 3440x1440 in some games.

i5-6600K 3.9GHz (Skylake) overclocked to 4.4
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070
16 GB DDR4
SSD

BFV for example on a mix of medium and high settings runs at 50-55 FPS with drops to as low as 30 at native resolution. It can get very stuttery. At 1080P it runs over 100FPS smooth on Utra.

The CPU frequently runs at 100% in game, never dropping below 85%

Question is if I want to run at 2K resolution at better frame rates how much will a GPU upgrade help or is my CPU a bottleneck? To replace that essentially means replacing everything which is a big expense...

Soldato
Increasing resolution increases GPU load in direct relation to amount of pixels per frame.
In purely pixel output limited situation that resolution change would drop framerate by divider of ~2.4.
So GPU is very likely also involved in fps drop regardless of also CPU being heavily loaded.

Aspect ratio change also likely increased geometry workload of GPU in some games.
Likewise it likely affected also CPU load.
And four thread CPU is by now low end and struggles to satisfy BFV anyway.
Especially if you're not tight on what you run on background.

You could try running game at 2560x1440 to see how much aspect ratio has effect.

Soldato
GPU first ! But as @EsaT has stated, that particular game, your CPU is the bottleneck. 90% of steam games wouldn't be the case but, current AAA titles that have released this year would.

DX12 has been a blessing for i7 4 cores and 8 threads, giving them even more life span at 4.5ghz + overclock but sadly your CPU doesn't have Hyperthreading for extra thread count... But the rule is, more physical are stronger then more logical cores (threads)

Associate
OP
Thx Both for replies.

So new GPU would give me a bit of a boost short term but ultimately a big upgrade is needed if I want to run new titles at high settings, high res.

Back
Top Bottom