Asking for a pay rise after 6 months

Associate
Hi,

I am considering asking for a pay rise but I am unsure how to go about it. Below is a bit of context around the situation.

I moved back to my hometown and have been in my current job for 6 months and I enjoy the job, colleagues and the company however I don't earn enough to afford to get a mortgage and move out.

I have a years salary as savings for a deposit but need a larger salary so I can borrow more to afford a flat where I currently live.

I have been given good feedback at work and am implementing new ideas to benefit to my employer but ultimately work needs to work for me, I am unsure how to explain the situation to my line manager and ask for a raise.

Any advice is appreciated,

Mark.

Caporegime
Just ask for a raise, send an e-mail to arrange a meeting, then ask for one - it is a common enough request for a manager to have to deal with.

The most helpful things here are perhaps if you're currently underpaid/getting below market rates and/or if you can cite some achievements - value you've added in your time there etc... areas where you think you've gone above and beyond etc...

I mean you can mention that for you personally the salary isn't enough because of your desire to purchase a house etc.. but if they're actually paying you market rates or if you're getting paid near the top of the range for the role already then that sort of thing is a bit irrelevant (at least with regards to an immediate raise). It is however perhaps worth them knowing about in terms of long term/career planning etc.. certainly if you're denied a raise at this point then asking what you need to do to get one and/or offering to take on more responsibility/work with them to build up your role do you can add more value and earn more etc.. is then the way to go.

If you get fobbed off with that then move on, go elsewhere. You should keep an eye on the market anyway and chat to recruiters even if you're not actively looking - it is just good practice... even go for interviews (only occasionally) for jobs you don't even want every so often, just useful to see what you're worth/what you could get and how easily you could move if necessary... also if you get a surprising offer then you might suddenly go from interview practice/don't care about this job just testing the waters to actually interested in the job and accepting a surprisingly good offer - it's worth keeping that sort of possibility there.

Anyway, best of luck with it, just go about it constructively, ask them straight up for it and don't be afraid to push back with additional constructive suggestions, setting targets/goals if your request is initially rejected. They can't exactly complain that employee X is pushing really hard to succeed only 6 months in and is rather ambitious/wants to progress, proactively take on more work etc...etc.. :)

Associate
Just ask for a raise, send an e-mail to arrange a meeting, then ask for one - it is a common enough request for a manager to have to deal with.

The most helpful things here are perhaps if you're currently underpaid/getting below market rates and/or if you can cite some achievements - value you've added in your time there etc... areas where you think you've gone above and beyond etc...

I mean you can mention that for you personally the salary isn't enough because of your desire to purchase a house etc.. but if they're actually paying you market rates or if you're getting paid near the top of the range for the role already then that sort of thing is a bit irrelevant (at least with regards to an immediate raise). It is however perhaps worth them knowing about in terms of long term/career planning etc.. certainly if you're denied a raise at this point then asking what you need to do to get one and/or offering to take on more responsibility/work with them to build up your role do you can add more value and earn more etc.. is then the way to go.

If you get fobbed off with that then move on, go elsewhere. You should keep an eye on the market anyway and chat to recruiters even if you're not actively looking - it is just good practice... even go for interviews (only occasionally) for jobs you don't even want every so often, just useful to see what you're worth/what you could get and how easily you could move if necessary... also if you get a surprising offer then you might suddenly go from interview practice/don't care about this job just testing the waters to actually interested in the job and accepting a surprisingly good offer - it's worth keeping that sort of possibility there.

Anyway, best of luck with it, just go about it constructively, ask them straight up for it and don't be afraid to push back with additional constructive suggestions, setting targets/goals if your request is initially rejected. They can't exactly complain that employee X is pushing really hard to succeed only 6 months in and is rather ambitious/wants to progress, proactively take on more work etc...etc.. :)

+1 for that.

Just be mindful that the grass isn't always greener, more pay usually means more responsibility.

Soldato
Agreed with what Dowie said.

I would just be completely honest - explain the situation and why you're asking for the raise, and see what they say!

Good luck! :)

Associate
Asking for a pay rise for personal circumstances is difficult, everyone can always do with more money for *something* including your manager.

I asked for a pay rise after 3 months in a previous job, they employed me on a temporary 12 month contract on less than I wanted. *But* I really wanted to work there, after a few months of proving my worth. I presented my argument for a full time position with a slight pay increase based on my skill set and worth to the company and wages elsewhere.

I then got both.

Soldato
Asking for a payrise just because you want more money, for whatever reason, especially after a short period, isn't likely to get very far.

You need to approach it more from what value you have brought over and above what you were initially employed for.

Soldato
Keep in mind it is good for employers to have both steady workers and those with ambition looking to better themselves, it means stability without things getting stale. Employers are keen to keep and motivate good people , which includes pay rises if the budget allows. I have had pay rises & one off bonus payments in previous jobs due to performance , as well as having to move job to get what I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom