Why am I getting huge fps spikes

Associate
So I have a relatively new build. Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600x as stock
16gb 8pack edition t-force ram oc to 3200
Msi Gtx 1070 stock speeds at the min as haven't got round to oc since the new build.
Asus prime 470x pro mobo
256gb Samsung ssd
5tb across 2 Seagate barracuda 7200rpm hdds which i store most of my games on.
Recently started playing metro exodus and dayz stand alone again but even on high settings on 1080p i'm getting big fps spikes. On metro I'm running dx12, everything high, tesselation and advanced physics turned off. Both games sit at 60fps with Vsync on but every so often then loose 10-15 frames for a second or so making the games lag and jump.
Running msi afterburner overlay I can see the gpu sits under 70% load at all times and only half of the vram is being used. In core temp I can see the cpu cores rarely even hit 50%load so its far from struggling to run the games.
Anything I can check to see what's causing the issues? Latest chipset, nvidia drivers and windows updates are all installed.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
dont quote me, but i think both of the those titles arent a great benchmark for your PC... I think Metro is just hungry for everything CPU and GPU... and if Dayz is using the Arma3 Engine, then your fps spikes could be server side not local...

Associate
OP
dont quote me, but i think both of the those titles arent a great benchmark for your PC... I think Metro is just hungry for everything CPU and GPU... and if Dayz is using the Arma3 Engine, then your fps spikes could be server side not local...
i remember day being a pain in the a$$ to run years ago and eventually stopped playing it but it now runs its own "optomised" engine so thought it would be better :( as for metro my card and cpu are far from being maxxed out but every now and then it will drop 10-15 frames for a split second. its far from un play able but just annoying more than anything lol

Back
Top Bottom