windows 10 clean install

Soldato
Hi

I have a laptop that I would like to do a clean install of windows 10, got so much junk on it and updated it over the years, think a fresh install might help.

It originally had windows 7/8 I believe and I have since updated it to windows 10 via the free upgrade.

Can anyone tell me the best way to to do a clean install of windows 10?

Thanks

Associate
Don't forget to download Ethernet / WiFi drivers from the manufactures websites and put them on a USB flash drive before you reinstall Windows, as Windows 10 may not have built in drivers for them.

Soldato
OP
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download ISO, create bootable media (usb/DVD), stick it in boot and follow instructions.

Thanks, so following that link download the latest version and stick it on a usb drive, do I need to perform any other method to get it to detect the files when I restart my laptop?

And make sure your current Windows installation is attached to your Microsoft account so that it is automatically activated when re-installing.

Good point I haven't signed into my laptop with my account for a long time.

Man of Honour
Thanks, so following that link download the latest version and stick it on a usb drive, do I need to perform any other method to get it to detect the files when I restart my laptop?

The installer will give you an option to keep the personal data..

You can either refresh Windows 10 without losing files by selecting Settings > Update&Security > Recovery > Reset this PC

or

if reinstalling window from your downloaded USB and over the top of an existing installation, you'll get an option "Keep personal files, apps, and Windows settings" or "Keep personal files only".

Soldato
OP
Depending on the model of laptop you will need to tap F8 or go into the BIOS and set boot USB as the first boot device.

It's a Dell, quite old now but works ok. I have done a windows reinstall before but it was such a long time ago I forgot how I did it.

The installer will give you an option to keep the personal data..

You can either refresh Windows 10 without losing files by selecting Settings > Update&Security > Recovery > Reset this PC

or

if reinstalling window from your downloaded USB and over the top of an existing installation, you'll get an option "Keep personal files, apps, and Windows settings" or "Keep personal files only".

Thanks, but which option from the above for a complete clean install, I would like all files and settings removed.

Associate
It's a Dell, quite old now but works ok. I have done a windows reinstall before but it was such a long time ago I forgot how I did it.
Thanks, but which option from the above for a complete clean install, I would like all files and settings removed.

You could probably just use the "Reset this PC" option in Windows 10... https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reset-your-windows-10-pc/

If this is your only PC, I would still use the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) to create a USB installation stick (just in case the reset breaks the computer and you need to re-install it).

Personally when I want to nuke Windows and all files completely, I use the Media Creation Tool to create the USB stick, boot using the USB stick, then in the installer delete all the hard disk partitions and let Windows re-create them during the installation.

Man of Honour
Oh sorry , I thought you wanted to retain the your files..

So as the installer runs, one of the first screen is to ask if you want to "Install Now" - clean install. or "repair your Computer"

During the "install Now" you will get an option to either

Upgrade : install windows and keep files.

or

Custom : Install windows only..
(clean install)

Taking this clean install will promote you to format the drive which while you are there, I would suggest you do.

Hope that helps.

edit - I just quickly found this

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...stall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Soldato
OP
When the installer loads you will see a list of partitions on your hard drive, just delete them all and then select the drive.

You could probably just use the "Reset this PC" option in Windows 10... https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reset-your-windows-10-pc/

If this is your only PC, I would still use the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) to create a USB installation stick (just in case the reset breaks the computer and you need to re-install it).

Personally when I want to nuke Windows and all files completely, I use the Media Creation Tool to create the USB stick, boot using the USB stick, then in the installer delete all the hard disk partitions and let Windows re-create them during the installation.

Oh sorry , I thought you wanted to retain the your files..

So as the installer runs, one of the first screen is to ask if you want to "Install Now" - clean install. or "repair your Computer"

During the "install Now" you will get an option to either

Upgrade : install windows and keep files.

or

Custom : Install windows only..
(clean install)

Taking this clean install will promote you to format the drive which while you are there, I would suggest you do.

Hope that helps.

edit - I just quickly found this

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...stall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Great info cheers everyone.

Soldato
OP
Having an issue, I have the ISO windows 10 file on a blank USB stick, I turn on my laptop with usb plugged in and press F12, I select boot from USB media, but all I get is a black screen with a little flashing line.

Associate
Having an issue, I have the ISO windows 10 file on a blank USB stick, I turn on my laptop with usb plugged in and press F12, I select boot from USB media, but all I get is a black screen with a little flashing line.

Sounds like you have just copied the .ISO file to the USB flash drive, when using the media creation tool you should have been given an option to create a bootable USB installation media.

Soldato
OP
How did you make the usb boot stick?

Sounds like you have just copied the .ISO file to the USB flash drive, when using the media creation tool you should have been given an option to create a bootable USB installation media.

Sorted, as said I above I just copied the file to usb stick, I done it again using the windows media creation tool and it worked.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi all, sorry to hijack the thread but i'll be having to do a clean install of windows 10 on a new build pc next month. Am i able to create a windows 10 bootable usb install drive from within mac os? I don't currently have a windows pc and only have an imac. So can i format the usb stick as fat32?

Back
Top Bottom