• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Permabanned
A good buy is ignore 4k 144hz and 2080ti and look at 1080p 240hz 0.5ms with a non super 2080. I think you can do that for £1000 if you wait until August.

Use DSR to make it a fake upscaled 4k is that not what PS5 will do via checkerboarding? That or 60fps is true actually. That will whip any PS5 cheap TV combo. Especially when you factor in the cost of premium PS5 titles.

Man of Honour
I've got the same feelings as a few people have stated. I've got a 980ti and can't justify the prices of any of the newer cards. I wouldn't mind a 4k monitor and a newer card but the prices are insane.

Like others have said I think I'll be seriously looking into a ps5 when they come out. Even the price of that and a 4k TV will be nowhere near the price of a new graphics card and 4k monitor that's gsync and 144hz.

I'm sitting here thinking the **** am I buying something with x6 branding for over £300 often near £400 or x7 for £500+ it is like paying BMW money for a Ford Mondeo. It isn't that I don't have the money.

Fortunately game developers are cooperating and pushing out complete tripe so largely I'm not tempted by any newer games that need more GPU power.

Soldato
I'm sitting here thinking the **** am I buying something with x6 branding for over £300 often near £400 or x7 for £500+ it is like paying BMW money for a Ford Mondeo. It isn't that I don't have the money.

Fortunately game developers are cooperating and pushing out complete tripe so largely I'm not tempted by any newer games that need more GPU power.

Agreed, I've got upgrade money sitting in the bank but I don't see anything of the right value and performance, 1070+, to convince me to spend it.

Associate

I've had the same thoughts for awhile about game releases. There's not exactly many must plays that have come out in the last couple of years that your desperate for that extra bit of GPU power for. Another reason to go console for me is the amount of decent games I see come out that are console exclusives only.

Soldato
I have the spare money to buy a RTX2080 every month but i wont pay the stupid price out of principle. Its an insult. GTX1080ti performance 2-3 years later for more money. Ridiculous! We've basically not budged in 3 years. You could argue the RTX2080ti has improvement but at what cost? Double/triple the previous gen costs. GPU market is a joke right now. Such a shame for PC gaming.

Really hope karma hits nvidia in the future.

Agree completely. If it wasn’t for the blatant money grabbing, PC gaming would be very much alive and well. If you could buy a new 4K GPU for less than £400, PC gaming could potentially take over consoles, especially if Steam machine sized SFF cases were used.

You’d think this would be worth something to Nvidia but no, they’re playing the long game. Sod what would be good for consumers.

Principle is what it’ll take to move things forward but unfortunately there are many who will continue buy into and enable the greed. We may be in for some wait yet..

Last edited:
Associate
It seems to me that nvidia are really trying to milk there customer base with the super cards, soon as they are released the original 2060 2070 and 2080 cards devalue providing they come in at the same price point. No one owning the original spec cards will update for a mere 10% performance hike and lose money on there expensive existing purchase.
especially if they went all out to buy the original 20 series card. nvidia greed, and the losers are the existing customers who bought into the over priced 20 series cards in the first place. how to shaft your struggling customer base Nvidia.

Associate

I totally agree, sitting on 1080ti SLI and won't be upgrading until I can get a doubling of performance for around £1k. They are going to have to last a long time as I have the money but I'm not going to bend over for these prices. I'd have bought 2080ti SLI if they'd skipped the RTX crap and instead increased the performance uplift over 1080ti to 60-70%. I've now become even more stubborn and I'm desperate to avoid giving any money to Nvidia as a reward for them taking the p**s. Also the games being released are a great way to help me save money as there's nothing I'm bothered about coming up apart from the COD reboot.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I totally agree, sitting on 1080ti SLI and won't be upgrading until I can get a doubling of performance for around £1k. They are going to have to last a long time as I have the money but I'm not going to bend over for these prices. I'd have bought 2080ti SLI if they'd skipped the RTX crap and instead increased the performance uplift over 1080ti to 60-70%. I've now become even more stubborn and I'm desperate to avoid giving any money to Nvidia as a reward for them taking the p**s. Also the games being released are a great way to help me save money as there's nothing I'm bothered about coming up apart from the COD reboot.

Has there ever been a 60-70% performance increase from one gen to the next?

Soldato
the new consoles will change the landscape completely as finally we can play 1080p at 60fps probably with HDR.

many of us simply refuse to play anything at 30fps.

Associate
the new consoles will change the landscape completely as finally we can play 1080p at 60fps probably with HDR.

many of us simply refuse to play anything at 30fps.

With rumors of raytracing on the next gen consoles I still think they will be 25-30fps. Console devs always seem to prioritize graphics and resolution over framerate.

Soldato

I'll be honest, I was expecting a bigger difference. Looked it over more carefully today and here's what I noticed:

* Soft shadows, especially from direct bright lights exhibits clear noise

* Reflections on the metal staircase exhibits clear noise

* Overall the differences aren't so pronounced, perhaps because it's a dark environment for the most part?

It's clearly a lot better with general occlusion shadowing, and certainly reflections are of much higher fidelity. About the former I care, but not too much (certainly not past what HBAO+ already does), and about reflections I care very little.

Perhaps it's really only GI for outdoor scenes which makes a big difference. I'll await a new Exodus. Maybe the new Assassin's Creed will use it, in which case it would be right on time with the Ampere GPUs.

Soldato
If my memory serves me well the stupid Nvidia pricing first came into play when the GTX 690 launched. The 4-5-680 weren’t cheap, but they were affordable and all three could beast 1080p with maxed out settings.

I don’t care about 240Hz refresh at 1080p, first person shooters have been done to death and I don’t see any point investing stupid money to have a slightly better win/lose/kill/death ratio on a profile no one cares about anyway.

Caporegime
If my memory serves me well the stupid Nvidia pricing first came into play when the GTX 690 launched. The 4-5-680 weren’t cheap, but they were affordable and all three could beast 1080p with maxed out settings.

I don’t care about 240Hz refresh at 1080p, first person shooters have been done to death and I don’t see any point investing stupid money to have a slightly better win/lose/kill/death ratio on a profile no one cares about anyway.

The 680 was an absolute stonking price when it came out IIRC.

It's the only Nvidia card I've ever bought really, and I bought it at launch.

Back
Top Bottom