• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Caporegime
If my memory serves me well the stupid Nvidia pricing first came into play when the GTX 690 launched. The 4-5-680 weren’t cheap, but they were affordable and all three could beast 1080p with maxed out settings.

I don’t care about 240Hz refresh at 1080p, first person shooters have been done to death and I don’t see any point investing stupid money to have a slightly better win/lose/kill/death ratio on a profile no one cares about anyway.
The 690 was a dual 680 card and wasn't badly priced for what it was. The 680 was cheaper than the 7970, which launched around 3 months prior. The Titan was NVidia's way of testing the water with high pricing but it was a halo product but sadly, the norm now.

Caporegime
2 and then a 3rd from the MM.

Unfortunately I'm of the opinion that you're in the camp of those whom have forced the pricing up by buying despite the price.

You're well within your rights to have bought it, don't get me wrong. But because people bought it, it's allowed the current situation. That both vendors are happy to take advantage of.

Soldato
It stutters if Hairworks is enabled, this setting is bugged from my testing. I disabled it and it's much smoother on my GTX 1080, I doubt an upgrade would help here.

From my initial observation you where correct. Turning off hair works and putting the quality back to Ultra and performance is perfectly acceptable at 1440p. With Physx enabled there is a little jitter with smoke occasionally but still it's a big improvement from before.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Unfortunately I'm of the opinion that you're in the camp of those whom have forced the pricing up by buying despite the price.

You're well within your rights to have bought it, don't get me wrong. But because people bought it, it's allowed the current situation. That both vendors are happy to take advantage of.

The 2080 buyers and 2080ti buyers are to blame more than maybe 1000 Titan buyers who are rich basically. The killer blow was the £800 launch price and now it is happening again. If the product gets a bit old you refresh for 9% gains and go back to £800.

Simple really.

Caporegime

I agree Mart and also hold myself responsible for the hike in prices. Whilst in the past it has never bothered me, I won't be doing the same in the future.

Soldato
I agree Mart and also hold myself responsible for the hike in prices. Whilst in the past it has never bothered me, I won't be doing the same in the future.

Glad to here it and hope there is a huge shift to this kind of mentality. I fear it won't be the case though and the current trend of mainstream top end will stay around the £1k mark. We have also had a double dunt in this country at the same time with Brexit seriously screwing the £ which was already on it's way down. This makes the higher price in $ even worse in £'s.

Soldato
Nvidia cant keep lifting the prices tho. There is an upper limit the market will tolerate before they give too much room for competitors to manoeuvre in at lower price points.

The market will simple sift towards AMD simple because that's what people can afford. Another a niche few will start paying £800 + for graphics cards. Or just go console for gaming fix and leave PC for workstation tasks only.

This would effect Nvidia's bottom line as well as help AMD even more as the console today and next gen use AMD hardware.

What we do need tho (captain obvious) is some competition in the PC GPU market to make things exciting again.

Soldato
The damage has been done now, now rip off prices have been normalised there's no going back. Small 10-15% gains at best are locked in, and that's only if you agree to a reaming to get those increases. Navi isn't worth it, NV super isn't worth it either. The top and and now consequently the mid range is ruined for everybody.

The buy a card that's worth the money you've got to buy a Vega from 2017, or you're someone who is still playing at 1080p who can have a good experience for £150 or even less.

Caporegime
Glad to here it and hope there is a huge shift to this kind of mentality. I fear it won't be the case though and the current trend of mainstream top end will stay around the £1k mark. We have also had a double dunt in this country at the same time with Brexit seriously screwing the £ which was already on it's way down. This makes the higher price in $ even worse in £'s.
I have not been gaming much, if any at all recently and spending more time doing other things instead. I do miss my gaming but even when I sit down to play and have a couple of hours, I play for 10 mins and pack up. Hopefully it comes back but even if it does, I am looking to a PS5 next

Caporegime
NVIDIA RTX Super Series graphics cards launch date: July 9th
These are the planned dates so far. It is still possible that NVIDIA sees this and decides to move them around just to discredit the leak scene but considering these dates have already been seeded to journalists, once the NDA lifts, they will be able to confirm that these were indeed the original dates they were told:

• July 2: Planned announcement day for all graphics cards (RTX 2060 SUPER, RTX 2070 SUPER, RTX 2080 SUPER). AKA soft launch.
  • July 9: GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER and GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER arrive on shelves.
  • July 23: GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER planned to hit the shelves. [Tentative]

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-super-series-graphics-cards-launch-date/

Associate
The buy a card that's worth the money you've got to buy a Vega from 2017, or you're someone who is still playing at 1080p who can have a good experience for £150 or even less.

In all of this I'm thinking 1080p really is not bad at all, and gaming at that resolution can be done relatively very cheaply. And I guess twitch gamers who really want high fps gravitate towards it.
I remember upgrading from 720p to 1080p in my Playstation days. And I remember the 1080p TV I had being very sharp and nice. What you've never had you don't miss.
(I don't regret moving to 4k though)

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Remember paying £650 for my 980Ti and it hurt me pretty bad. Dread to think what laying over a grand out on a card would feel like.

Painful TBH. I went from 1080P with a RX480 to 4K HDR and a 2080Ti in a new PC. Didn’t have a lot of options in regards to the grunt required to do 4K justice unfortunately.

However I don’t regret it. Games definitely look better at 4K, and turning the dial down and going back to 1080P, it’s a much bigger difference visually than I would have thought.

Back
Top Bottom