• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
I have not been gaming much, if any at all recently and spending more time doing other things instead. I do miss my gaming but even when I sit down to play and have a couple of hours, I play for 10 mins and pack up. Hopefully it comes back but even if it does, I am looking to a PS5 next

I go through stages like this a lot. When it started happening I lost the will to spend a lot of money to be at the top end. Pretty sure that 2080ti and 1440p widescreen will be a good combo for years if you kept it. I will definitely get a ps5 myself as I like all the playstation only games and got plenty of mates on the platform to have a laugh with. If they add in mouse and keyboard support that will be another bonus. I use mouse and keyboard through an xim 4 with my pro. It's not as good as PC mouse and keyboard but way better than a pad when playing blackout.

Caporegime
Painful TBH. I went from 1080P with a RX480 to 4K HDR and a 2080Ti in a new PC. Didn’t have a lot of options in regards to the grunt required to do 4K justice unfortunately.

However I don’t regret it. Games definitely look better at 4K, and turning the dial down and going back to 1080P, it’s a much bigger difference visually than I would have thought.
Huge difference, but then I prefer 1440p at the moment. You don't need as much grunt and on a quality monitor, it really doesn't look that superior to 4K.

Soldato
From my initial observation you where correct. Turning off hair works and putting the quality back to Ultra and performance is perfectly acceptable at 1440p. With Physx enabled there is a little jitter with smoke occasionally but still it's a big improvement from before.
That's good to hear although it's a pity this setting has still not been fixed after all this time.

Soldato
The damage has been done now, now rip off prices have been normalised there's no going back. Small 10-15% gains at best are locked in, and that's only if you agree to a reaming to get those increases. Navi isn't worth it, NV super isn't worth it either. The top and and now consequently the mid range is ruined for everybody.

The buy a card that's worth the money you've got to buy a Vega from 2017, or you're someone who is still playing at 1080p who can have a good experience for £150 or even less.

Having a good third player with Intel (with a full top to bottom stack) will hopefully bring back stuff

I hope with a healthy AMD things will turn around stuff around as the GPU's seem to "not as bad but not far off" bulldozer moment with competing on Price performance in a limit number of areas and abandoning other due to there current tech and that took 7 years to turn around.

Associate
I got my gtx980 gaming edition for £399 with a couple of games on black Friday 2014 . Sure it was a special offer but personally I thought the gtx 970 and gtx980 were fairly priced for what they were.

I agree, I got the MSI GTX970 gaming for £270 a few years back and with my 3770K it is still pumping out decent frames @ 1080P on a 27 inch 144 Hz monitor. I bought a rift a few months back and I am struggling a bit now on the racing sims and flying sims I play with most things on low/medium settings, but I am in the camp that will not pay stupid money even though the 20XX series is a massive improvement on my 970. I am going to have to pull the trigger and buy a new card soon though for the sake of my Rift. TBH I was looking at the 2060 super for £349 until they said it will now be £429. I am hedging my bets that AMD will drop prices on release now they see Nvidia trying to muscle in again. I haven't had a AMD card since the 4870, it was good but wouldn't overclock very well and kept giving artefacts on BF2.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree Mart and also hold myself responsible for the hike in prices. Whilst in the past it has never bothered me, I won't be doing the same in the future.
I have learnt my lesson too, let's hope Nvidia is listening: the next gen consoles are looking very powerful and many PC enthusiasts will at least consider them if this situation continues. Another pet peeve of mine is how terrible the monitor market is compared to TVs, technology has barely moved on since 2016.

Soldato
I also remember paying £230 as a 15 year old in early 00 for a Creative Labs 3D Annihilator pro (Geforce 1 DDR) that would still be a touch under £400 in todays money for what was a highest end card.

Saying that check out the die size + board/card complexity of a Geforce DDR vs a 2080ti its a night and day in engineering

Soldato
In all of this I'm thinking 1080p really is not bad at all, and gaming at that resolution can be done relatively very cheaply. And I guess twitch gamers who really want high fps gravitate towards it.
I remember upgrading from 720p to 1080p in my Playstation days. And I remember the 1080p TV I had being very sharp and nice. What you've never had you don't miss.
(I don't regret moving to 4k though)

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just very hard to go back once you've moved on. I shan't progress past 1440p unless there's a serious change in pricing of PC gaming, and definitely not for another 3-5 years in any event.

Associate
Looking at some of the 20XX series card prices, seems like the outlets are making hay, raising the prices to grab as much as they can in their grubby little hands before the super cards hit and the original 20XX card prices have to be dropped.

Associate
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-super-series-graphics-cards-launch-date/

Announcement moved to 2nd July Launch for most 9th July:

• July 2: Planned announcement day for all graphics cards (RTX 2060 SUPER, RTX 2070 SUPER, RTX 2080 SUPER). AKA soft launch.
  • July 9: GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER and GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER arrive on shelves.
  • July 23: GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER planned to hit the shelves. [Tentative]

I think it's telling that the Nvidia subreddit has banned all WCCFtech links since 2016 for mostly being completely made up tosh based upon a few minor rumours.

Associate
Looking at some of the 20XX series card prices, seems like the outlets are making hay, raising the prices to grab as much as they can in their grubby little hands before the super cards hit and the original 20XX card prices have to be dropped.

Mention this other day. Prices all gone up, including for example the Zotac RTX2080 extreme edition jumping back up to £900 from under £700. Having said that, its dropped back down to sub £700 again (up and down by £200 over last few days, odd!), this seems arguably the best priced RTX2080 for the price/performance imo at present.

I noticed the EVGA RTX2080ti Kingpin edition has dropped £90 so far as no one has bought one yet :) (pretty sure they only had 6 in stock when they received them...still have 6). You would be crazy to buy if there is a SUPER edition released at a better price.

Soldato
I’m assuming it’s just some bugs - but in the last demo build, Controls performance drops when RTX is turned off. Let the theories begin that Nvidia wants to force people to buy RTX begin

Back
Top Bottom