Thermal imaging for overclocking?

Caporegime
I've got two of these thermal cameras (yes, the one in my sig) and I'm desperate to find a use for one of them as it's a genuinely great gadget to play with, but I can't think of anything (we bought them for quick'n'dirty thermal surveys at work but someone had already booked in a pro to come and do it so they're surplus to requirements).

I saw Linus using something like this in one of his vids, is it worth keeping for this? If so I'm keeping one, but as cool as they are to use, I'm really struggling to find a use for them :(

Soldato
Can't see your sig from mobile, but I find thermal cameras useful when setting up case airflow and new builds. I've only got a simple Android Flir One borrowed off a mate.

I set up a PC at work with two broadcast PCIe cards which have a teeny 25mm fan each, those were reaching 60°C plus on the rear of the card. I wouldn't have spotted that just from software reports, so I was able to configure sensible fan arrangements to sort it as they run 24/7 :)

Things like VRMs will get hotter with overclocking (and watercooling too due to reduced airflow). So it's worth doing if you have the gear...

Soldato
Thermal image is surely good for spotting hot spots and places where airflow is bad.
Also bad/loose power connectors should show nicely.

And can't either see signature.

Back
Top Bottom