• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus Strix 2080TI RMA

Permabanned
Asus customer support has an absolutely terrible reputation. For me, I was getting useless responses from their customer 'support' team on a Z97-K motherboard. Eventually I just got fed up and sold the board.

Hope you get it all sorted out soon.

There's a really nice looking X570 mini-DTX motherboard from Asus, but it being an Asus product is really making me think twice as to whether I'll go for it.

I had the same experience they wanted you to upgrade the board for NVMe support, Gigabyte did it with a bios update. And Gigaman is an active rep too not many spring to mind him and L.G Daniel? How do they do it as in being bad compared to Gigabyte etc? And people think ROG and things are premium!

I am 99.99% sure my next build will be Corsair and Gigabyte graphics and motherboard and the Gigabyte Aorus 240hz monitor as well. I think they deserve it they were first to market i think with 0.5ms panels.

Soldato
So, the plan is to artificially limit the life of the card for what reason?

Let’s say it will last 4 years under normal use but now it dies after 2, what use is that to the buyer?

I know you’re making a point about stressing the card to “test” it and that if it dies within a year he gets a new card BUT what if it doesn’t? What if the stress manifests itself as a card that dies in 18 months or at best he gets a replacement card next year... is that really a win? :o

I took him as being fairly tongue in cheek to be honest :)

I won't be taking that advice but so far it seems a solid clocker which is nice. I've been impressed with the build quality and hopefully I won't need to RMA at any point given the experiences people appear to be having.

Associate
Another reason to not buy asus. Considering how many ppl complain about their rma I don't know how they are allowed to charge the extra over others.

I've had to return 2 cards over the years. 1 was BFG which were brilliant in a 4 day total turnaround (could have been 3 days but hold up at post office). And other was powercolor which took like 3 months but I don't know how much of this was powercolor and how much was the useless company microdirect (as it no longer trades I assume I can type out their name)

Last edited:
Associate
Asus is not what it used to be a few years ago, poor quality control these days and the worst RMA experience. I used to purchase asus all the time for high end PC builds but now I use gigabyte as they have caught up asus in build and quality and surpassed them.

Associate
How did your x99-s kill your cpu? I have one so interested
The auto overclocking 'feature' incinerated it. If you google ASUS X99 killing 5960X there are a few examples and one of the tech sites
(can't remember which) also had the same problem. Of course it wasn't Asus's fault or so they claimed but their OC socket sometimes pushed
insane voltages through the chip iirc.
On Asrock X99X Fatality 3.1 now and won't be buying ASUS in future. You'll probably be fine, if it was going to have died it should have done so by
now.

Soldato
The auto overclocking 'feature' incinerated it. If you google ASUS X99 killing 5960X there are a few examples and one of the tech sites
(can't remember which) also had the same problem. Of course it wasn't Asus's fault or so they claimed but their OC socket sometimes pushed
insane voltages through the chip iirc.
On Asrock X99X Fatality 3.1 now and won't be buying ASUS in future. You'll probably be fine, if it was going to have died it should have done so by
now.

Mine does that sometimes, boot's with 1.8V going through the chip, it did it the other day actually. I defo wouldn't get another Asus mobo or any other product they make with there RMA stories of fail, thanks for responding Jacky60 :)

Associate
OP
If I ever get this GPU back, I may consider selling it on and getting a different manufacturer version.
I'd need one to be the same performance, or better.

How do the other manufacturers compare in performance for a 2080TI?

Associate
If I ever get this GPU back, I may consider selling it on and getting a different manufacturer version.
I'd need one to be the same performance, or better.

How do the other manufacturers compare in performance for a 2080TI?
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra, great card, super fast RMA if you use the advanced RMA you should have a replacement within 2 working days (they do put a charge on your credit/debit card but refund once the RMA'd card is sent back)

Associate
Mine does that sometimes, boot's with 1.8V going through the chip, it did it the other day actually. I defo wouldn't get another Asus mobo or any other product they make with there RMA stories of fail, thanks for responding Jacky60 :)
Jesus Christ 1.8V! Should hold a great overclock;). Yeah the RMA horror stories are endless and while I know their top of the range MOBOs are
loved by some the only Asus product I ever owned cost me nearly £200 down the drain, they wouldn't even RMA the mobo and it killed my CPU meaning no PC for three weeks. Fortunately Intel are decent and replaced the CPU but never again ASUS.

Soldato
Jesus Christ 1.8V! Should hold a great overclock;). Yeah the RMA horror stories are endless and while I know their top of the range MOBOs are
loved by some the only Asus product I ever owned cost me nearly £200 down the drain, they wouldn't even RMA the mobo and it killed my CPU meaning no PC for three weeks. Fortunately Intel are decent and replaced the CPU but never again ASUS.

5DkPzBO.jpg

Quickly set it back to 1.3V and carried on, If it dies now it'll be an excuse to upgrade to a ryzen 3700X :D

Soldato
Yeah I never hit the on switch and go do something else, only takes 20 secs to boot with an m.2 nvme, my advice to anyone with an Asus x99 is to do the same, don't leave it booting on it's own

Edit: was alert enough to take a photo as proof lol :)

Associate
Part of the reason I went with Asus was the OC-UK Gold RMA Asus service, that transpired to have been dropped and not communicated......

Hopefully you get it sorted soon, it's a good card when it works :)

Back
Top Bottom