Best place to buy wall sockets.

Associate
Hi, I'm replacing a few wall sockets and light switches.
I picked a few in screwfix and discovered the same (Antique Brass) worked out half as cheap in Socket Centre https://www.socketcentre.co.uk/

just makes me think, is it the same quality as Screwfix.

Anyone any dealings with Socket Centre?

Thanks.

Associate
Depends on what you want, to last for 20 years or your gonna redecorate in 5 years or don't mind replacing them as they fail over time so quality doesn't matter as much

Either buy a decent brand or take a chance with screwfix lap or no name stuff - it might be ok, might not

If you find a decent brand then as long as its not fake then just get them as cheap as poss

Cheaper / mid range metal accessories try click deco or varilight

if you make a list and put in 1 big order local wholesaler might give you a better price but still can prob get cheaper online

Soldato
Depends on what you want, to last for 20 years or your gonna redecorate in 5 years or don't mind replacing them as they fail over time so quality doesn't matter as much

Either buy a decent brand or take a chance with screwfix lap or no name stuff - it might be ok, might not

If you find a decent brand then as long as its not fake then just get them as cheap as poss

Cheaper / mid range metal accessories try click deco or varilight

if you make a list and put in 1 big order local wholesaler might give you a better price but still can prob get cheaper online
Fail?

I’ve only ever had one fail and that was a posh Varilight dimmer that died in a week clearly a manufacturing failure! My house has everything from MK to the cheapest thing I could find in screwfix and all work fine with most of it now about 15 years old.

Associate
light switches, rocker falls out, or stops switching, goes loose or contacts fail - less tolerant overloads like bulbs blowing when switched on end up with damaged switch
pull cords jam quickly
switches on sockets seize up
socket go loose and don't hold the plug tight
shutters jam / become stiff

Those are faults i see a lot of without a loose connection or abuse causing it - whereas i see 30 year old quality sockets still good

can also get those faults from overload or abuse but quality parts will be more tolerant of it

You can tell the difference of cheap sockets for example they weigh nothing, have minimal metal content, cheap thin plastics, terminal screws weak and heads round off easy, thread strips when tightened, poorly machined screw and terminal so threads don't match so either loose or crunchy when turned

i am sure some of the cheaper stuff is good but could be a minefield, cheap stuff from reputable wholesalers i've been given has been a mix some utter crap, some ok

Back
Top Bottom