Connecting an outdoor socket and boiler to an internal socket?

Soldato
Currently we have the boiler plugged into a chest height socket, but we need the two sockets for other things, so are always having to unplug the boiler. Which isn't ideal, so i'd like to add in a fused and switched spur for the boiler, coming off the socket.

Also i'd like an outside socket with built in rcd protection and am wondering if this could also be connected to the feed to the socket with a junction box and another switched and fused spur.

Does that look right, or would it not work? I'm planning on chasing it out etc myself, then getting my uncles mate to come and hook it up and test etc, but just trying to get my head around it for now.

FrOvJ97.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome drawing:p paint FTW. I'm surprised whoever fitted the boiler didn't wire it in rather than sticking a plug on the end. Good idea on double for outside, there's times when I wish I'd done that rather than just gone for a single.

Soldato
OP
:cool: :D That was my second attempt as well, after I discovered you could draw boxes with a tool, rather than free hand lol.

Yeah I should have pushed for him to do it as he did have "all electrics" on the invoice, but he blagged me at the time that an electrician needs to do it. I think he just couldn't be be bothered to wire it up.

Soldato
I don't think a switched spur has to be fitted literally as a spur. I'd of thought it would therefore be better to fit both switched spurs next to each other and extend one tail from the original double socket to the 1st switched spur and then one from there to the second switched spur and then a length of twin & earth back to the original double socket. That way they're all part of the ring. I'd say that was more understandable for anyone that comes after you as your suggestion is technically spurring off the previous socket for the outdoor socket and presumably not immediately obvious that the previous socket has a spurred socket associated with it. As far as I understand spurs are not a great idea if you can incorporate into the ring instead.

I'm not an electrician so you should check further what I've said.

Last edited:
Associate
Im pretty sure only 1X spur is allowed per socket (pending power rating/ circuit Amperes / load etc..) and outdoor power to be protected by MCB & armoured cable fitted as IEE wiring Regs advise.

FrOvJ97.png [/QUOTE]

Soldato
I believe you could have multiple sockets on the output side of the switched fused spur but they'd be of limited use in terms of using them all at the same time since they'd be limited by the fuse in the switched fused spur.

Back
Top Bottom