Looking for min 3m retractable Cat 5e/6 lan cable

Soldato
I'm looking for a longer replacement to my trusty 1.5m retractable lan cable for when I'm out and about with my work tablet. Ideally between 3 and 5 metres would be fab... Ideally looking for something compact, however my searches online have no really discovered anything more than about 2.5m...

Anyone seen anything?

Soldato
The cable in those retractable cables probably isn't twisted pair. The flat cables you can buy that are twisted pair wouldn't be thin enough or flexible enough to work in the reels.

For very short cables you'll usually get away with an untwisted cable. As soon as you want something longer you're just asking for unreliable connections.

Soldato
OP
a 5 meter roll should work perfectly fine. What you not using WiFi for anyway?
Latency and transfer of large files (sometimes 20GB plus; GIS information)... Corp wifi is slow as crap and my laptop is whitelisted for any LAN connection so I'm one of the lucky ones that can go wired... but as we operate in a hotdesk environment I cannot set up a static environment.

Associate
It's very Ghetto, but you can try this:

Get your max length cable you need (3m, 5m, etc)
Get a small box (like the size of the Amazon FireTV Stick box), something that's just big enough to hold the cable you need.
Get some scissors, punch a hole in opposing sides of the box.
Open the box.
Insert the cable out from the inside of the box on one end.
Roll/Wrap the rest of the cable around itself so that it can fit inside the box.
Leaving a suitable length of usable cable remaining, insert the cable from the inside of the box to the other side on the opposing side you started in the instructions above.
Close the box.
Pull however much cable you need when you need it. Push it back in when you're done.

Back
Top Bottom