Mobile Deals (includes 5G anticipation!)

Man of Honour
Three now doing unlimited everything on SIM only for £20. Only catch is that it's a 24 month contract which usually wouldn't bother me if the deal was so good, but with 5G starting to launch it may be a tie to 4G that you wouldn't want?
I wouldn't worry about 5g becoming useful and mainstream in the next 24 months to be honest.

Soldato
Yes, I'm contemplating it but it's just niggling me a bit that 5g might really take off and I'll be stuck for 2 years.

How much data do you actually need? Giff gaff and voxi do big data sim only no contract deals if you just want something while you wait to see what happens with 5G.

Giffgaff's always on data plan is rubbish though, heavily throttled after 20GB.

Soldato
OP
I just noticed that Three are doing the same unlimited deal on a 12 month contract for an extra £2 (22). That could be a fair little hedge of bets which would allow me to switch after a year.

So the SIM only choice is £8/month from ID that gives me enough data to get by if I'm careful with it, or £20/month from Three to use it all as I like.

Not a bad choice to be fair. :)

Soldato
Voxi have just upped all their limits as well until July, 8gb for £10 plus all that unlimited social media use if you happen to be using the included apps a lot. They only do monthly as well so not locked in but like a lot of MVNOs in the UK, missing Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE.

Associate
I’ll add my 2p and agree that 5G to most people will be pointless for the foreseeable future. In fact, 4G might actually ‘improve’ as others start moving over anyway; there’s times when even 3G where I am can be faster than 4G due to network congestion.

Soldato
OP
I'm glad I paid the extra £2/month to get the 12 month contract as opposed to 24. :)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ter-5g-broadband-for-25-cities-in-august.html

Mobile operator Three UK has announced that the £2bn commercial rollout of their new ultrafast 5G mobile network will begin in August 2019, reaching 25 towns and cities across the UK by the end of 2019. The provider is also pledging “at least 2x faster” broadband speeds thanks to their initial spectrum advantage.

Soldato
Bloody hell, my city is actually on the list for 5G later in the year. Just left them as signal has been becoming poor but might give them another go then.

Soldato
Good step forward for people looking to switch networks:

Mobile phone users can soon switch network with just one text
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/jun/28/mobile-phone-switch-network-text-pac-code?

That's very good timing, need to get my PAC code next week as just switched.

Tbh I usually just say I've already bought the new SIM deal so can't stay and most operators give up (or ask if I want to give it to a friend :confused: ) but its still a faff with annoying hold music and unintelligible foreign accents so this will make switching for easier.

Soldato
Soldato
Just tried the text to get my PAC code, arrived in seconds. Much better than having to mess about telephoning & spending 20 mins telling them why your leaving.

Yep much easier, came through straight away and no hassle. Should make all services this easy to switch

Associate
Just tried the text to get my PAC code, arrived in seconds. Much better than having to mess about telephoning & spending 20 mins telling them why your leaving.

I just ported from EE to Voda then back to EE, can also go to your online account EE/Voda to request one.

Back
Top Bottom