Would you create a youtube vlogging channel?

Soldato
OP
true, but it depends what the OP is after.. does he want to form a small group of followers, or does he want 1 million subs and earn a wage?
he's given no hint as to any idea's he might have,

my advice is just to upload stuff you have an interest in or a hobby, i do it myself and have >1,300 subs,
random vlogs while you're shopping in Tesco aint gonna cut it :p

Money is a big part yes. How good would it be to post a 10min video twice a week and make thousands. You have the small matter of attracting an audience though.

Soldato
a few other reasons to not 'vlog'..

vlogging is pretty much a daily thing telling people what you're upto that day, and so no one will watch a vlog that's old, ie: no one's going to want to know/watch what you did 3 weeks ago last tuesday..
so you're vids would have no longevity,

I'm not so sure about that tbh. I follow a few people who vlog travelling to Florida, going multiple times per year etc... but in between that, they also do weekly vlogs where they go about their daily lives. When I first started watching them I went back and started from their first vlogs and made my way through them all.

Don't get me wrong, not everyone will do that but there are some people out there that will.

Soldato
No because **** those people. All these platforms for people to share their opinions, lifestyles, activities... **** that ****. The people who watch this crap need to take a look at themselves in the mirror and get on with their own goddam lives. Right now my kids are watching some crappy Roblox video hosted by some kid with a high opinion of himself and verbal diarrhea, **** him. TV going off in a minute, or they can watch something wholesome.

Soldato
true, but it depends what the OP is after.. does he want to form a small group of followers, or does he want 1 million subs and earn a wage?
he's given no hint as to any idea's he might have,

my advice is just to upload stuff you have an interest in or a hobby, i do it myself and have >1,300 subs,
random vlogs while you're shopping in Tesco aint gonna cut it :p
It doesn't Really matter what ever he wants to do he should give it a go youtube is full of good stuff nobody watches and awful stuff watched by millions, maybe the OP does super exciting Tesco trips. If you want to do something like this what ever the content just go for it and see what happens.

Soldato
No because **** those people. All these platforms for people to share their opinions, lifestyles, activities... **** that ****. The people who watch this crap need to take a look at themselves in the mirror and get on with their own goddam lives. Right now my kids are watching some crappy Roblox video hosted by some kid with a high opinion of himself and verbal diarrhea, **** him. TV going off in a minute, or they can watch something wholesome.
Welcome to 2019 the age of the influencer it’s not going away and your kids will be watching this stuff for 20 years!

Soldato
Money is a big part yes. How good would it be to post a 10min video twice a week and make thousands. You have the small matter of attracting an audience though.

If it's about money, sure give it a go, but be warned it is very unlikely you will even get anywhere close to making enough to even lower your hours in whatever job you do now. It will likely take years and years and you'll still then only make maybe £100 a month.

Soldato
I think if I had a hobby which was actually interesting to hear about I'd consider "vlogging" about it (e.g. you get people like CodysLab where he had a vlog about the process of keeping bees, showing how he constructs the hives, looks after the bees etc. with updates every few days)... but I don't see the attraction in simply hearing about the mundane details of someone else's life, making it hard to approach vlogging about my own...

And besides that the only 2 reasons to do it are - money (which you will be lucky to ever get to a point where you're making much) or for the attention/fans (which would likely also never come, and I just don't feel like I need validation/adoration of a bunch of strangers)

Edit: Okay, on reading back... 3 reasons - like with CodysLab maybe you'd do it for sort of pseudo-educational purposes, sharing a worthwhile hobby/pursuit with others

Soldato
With your general Vlog type stuff I wouldn't want to open up my life to strangers that much, i don't want a bunch of randoms seeing the inside of my house or how i live my life and especially wouldn't want to subject my wife and child to the privacy invasion of it.

The only way i would do is if it was specific to a certain interest or hobby like the bee keeping above, but only if you've actually got either got a fairly unique hobby or a very different insight you can give to something more ordinary. For me non of my hobby's are unique enough or i'm not good enough at them to warrant recording them (playing guitar, messing around with cars etc)

I could have done one when i built my house as i think that's always a unique journey for each person, but i think you'd really need to think about what aspects you are going to focus on and have a decent plan so it doesn't turn in to mundane drivel.

Soldato
I have no interest in sharing with people. I don't use social media.

I am happy with forums because they are somewhat anonymous.

Same here, forums fine... reddit okay as well... I'm not against sharing things but I dislike expecting the praise/kudos/karma to actually reflect onto me as a person - it's the difference between posting a beautiful landscape photo you took on reddit for others to enjoy, versus posting it on instagram or something with the caption "amazing view of sunset on this beach where my incredible action-packed life takes me because I'm just such an interesting and cool person"

Associate
No, but I do enjoy watching them. If you have an interesting lifestyle or hobby then they can be great and informative. At the moment I'm watching narrowboaters and find it fascinating.

I just hate when they go through the motions of like, comment, subscribe, turn on notifications, don't forget to comment below on what your favorite apple variety from the 80's is, check out my patreon, etc. etc.

I'd say there's no money in it, but plenty are raking it in far more than a normal job. The problem is getting to that position and staying there long enough to cover yourself when it all disappears.

Man of Honour
No.

The stuff I'm doing that I can talk about isn't interesting.
The interesting stuff is all NDA'd up the chuff, and I have no desire to get sued.

Associate
I've enjoyed watching some vloggers in the past and even wished I'd have the courage to believe anyone would give a damn about anything I had to say. But I think I'm too self critical to be a vlogger and worry what everyone would think. I'm not egotistical enough I think lol

Soldato
If I had a hobby or a project which was interesting enough to document I probably would, just for the sake of recording it for myself.

Sitting at my PC, crying and eating 30 milky bar yoghurts every night probably won’t get too many hits though. Plz get in touch if it would interest you.

Associate
If I had a hobby or a project which was interesting enough to document I probably would, just for the sake of recording it for myself.

Sitting at my PC, crying and eating 30 milky bar yoghurts every night probably won’t get too many hits though. Plz get in touch if it would interest you.

My wife would fully watch that. She loves a milky bar yoghurt! :D

Associate
No, my life isn't interesting enough.

'Hi guys, so today I went to work, got home and had dinner and then played some video games. Don't forget to smash that like button'

Back
Top Bottom