Windows Optimisation

Soldato
So,

I used to, when getting/building a new PC, use Black Viper Optimisation or similar for Windows to disable stuff you don't need.

It was a pretty good guide as had some security and some performance concerns addressed in it.
It also had services to disable as well as reg keys to tweak etc.

Anyway, getting a new XPS 15 next week and wondered whether there was something up to date for this, Black Vipers guide seems to be not updated in over a year but may still be useful?

Thanks,

Associate
Just do a tidy up of stuff you don't want on it and your startup items, shouldn't really need to do much else these days everything is a lot quicker.

Nice laptop, enjoy.

Soldato
That guide is garbage. It's just him sitting there disabling settings using the settings panel. Amazing. He didn't benchmark anything before or after these changes.

V F

V F

Soldato
Don't know why anyone would bother these days

It is pretty optimised. Think I had Windows 10 at a max of 0.38x on LatencyMonitor when I checked yesterday on 1809.

how'd you know if anything is optimized without benchmarks?

Reminds me of these lads that get plug in car remaps without a rolling road before and after.

I was thinking of those extreme photos with the cars and their crazy negative camber looking like Flat Eric.

Associate
So,

I used to, when getting/building a new PC, use Black Viper Optimisation or similar for Windows to disable stuff you don't need.

It was a pretty good guide as had some security and some performance concerns addressed in it.
It also had services to disable as well as reg keys to tweak etc.

Anyway, getting a new XPS 15 next week and wondered whether there was something up to date for this, Black Vipers guide seems to be not updated in over a year but may still be useful?

Thanks,

Throw it in the bin and get a Mac? :p

Don
With any new pc, best bet is to pop it online once to activate etc. Then format using Windows 10 media creation tool on USB.

You'll have a nice fresh install. Maybe do firmware updates and bios updates first using the inbuilt tools.

V F

V F

Soldato
Black Viper? I remember that extreme hype from the XP days, likely the same certain people that still say things are bloated today with 16 - 64GB of memory.

Soldato
If you're buying a brand new laptop i'd be more concerned about the bloatware that comes pre-installed from the vendor rather than anything that windows has as default.

First thing i'd do is a clean wipe.

Don
Shutup10 will disable a lot of crap.

On low spec systems it makes a massive difference.

I'm talking 2GB Atom netbooks. Use them in work for configuring switches etc.

Associate
how'd you know if anything is optimized without benchmarks?

Reminds me of these lads that get plug in car remaps without a rolling road before and after.

Well you disable services that are unnecessary, stop background apps from interrupting you or collecting data. Disable most of the animations that make windows prettier but also generally make it respond slower.

I don't know what you want to benchmark here. Magic Button that give you +5 FPS in Fortnite?

Soldato
Well you disable services that are unnecessary, stop background apps from interrupting you or collecting data. Disable most of the animations that make windows prettier but also generally make it respond slower.

I don't know what you want to benchmark here. Magic Button that give you +5 FPS in Fortnite?

You need some way of knowing what you're doing is a) making a difference and b) not breaking other things.

CPU usage, mem usage, HDD read/writes etc. There are a lot of stats available to measure and track. There's no point wasting time tweaking things unless you know it works.

You do seem to have a bee in your bonnet though judging by your responses to myself and others, bad round in Fortnite?? :D I'll let you get back to practising :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks for some of the responses guys, sounds like a full wipe will be on the cards.

Going to put Pro on it anyway I think.
Just do a tidy up of stuff you don't want on it and your startup items, shouldn't really need to do much else these days everything is a lot quicker.

Nice laptop, enjoy.

Ya pretty excited, Went for the 9th Gen 9750H, GTX1650, 16gb Ram (will probably upgrade to 32), 512GB SSD, 1080p inc big battery 97wh vs 56wh

And 10% off made it same cost as the base i5 model..

Permabanned
Thanks for some of the responses guys, sounds like a full wipe will be on the cards.

Going to put Pro on it anyway I think.

Ya pretty excited, Went for the 9th Gen 9750H, GTX1650, 16gb Ram (will probably upgrade to 32), 512GB SSD, 1080p inc big battery 97wh vs 56wh

And 10% off made it same cost as the base i5 model..

Disable as much as possible, Startup, Processes,Error Reporting,Updates, i stripped windows bare and as i only play games on it and cpu power is what i lack most i went over the top. Yep clock is gone and i only run one of Steam etc at one time. If somethinf is on the control panel well it best have a good reason like Soundcard.

What does this achieve? Well i think this is smooth and has not degraded much at all compared to other versions of windows so it is probably the best since TinyXP for me for games. If you really want to test it though ten minutes of Latencymon and see how well the systems doing response wise a poor system grts poor results.

I see mine bounce from 2-20us idle randomly and that seems stable period. So how about games? Well run the game say an online game and Latencymon and alt tab after ten minutes and window the game so you can see yourself playing AND live Latencymon this is crucial. Good numbers would be 50us to 70us personally i have 45us to 55us as my variable system latency. But i would hate to see it near 100us personally 1000us is the dreaded redline where you have a bad process or something exceeding 1ms as 1000us = 1ms. You will see people frown about this and say it does not matter for me it makes games smoother and they should in theory feel more snappy with a lower latency. You also remember have people who say 60fps is enough you get out what you put into a setup that is the truth.

Soldato
I use W10Privacy to turn off a lot of Win10 telemetry stuff (spyware). It also has quite a few useful tweaks. It has a pretty good explanation of what each option does.

Back
Top Bottom