Samsung TV 2018/2019 DTS workaround?

Caporegime
So I recently bought a Samsung Q7FN, assuming that it would do everything my old Samsung did. Sadly, while the picture quality is stunning, I then found out later that DTS support was dropped when half my media catalog play in silence. I had checked reviews online and on Youtube, and not one mentioned the lack of DTS, so I am pretty miffed to say the least. Grrr.

Anyway, my current set up is:
  • Samsung Q7FN
  • Denon AVR-X1200W (connected via ARC to the Q7FN)
  • Synology DS916+ (which is hooked up the local network via ethernet and accessed via the TV)
Is there any way to enable passthrough of DTS with the above setup?

PS: I don't want to use Plex to transcode or buy an NV TV Shield unless I can help it.

Last edited:
Associate
If your content is 1080p then Kodi on a raspberry pi is sufficient, if it's 4k content then you will need something more powerful like an Nvidia Shield. 1080p still looks decent as your TV will upscale to 4k.

Associate
wdtv live box is a good workaround for this issue had same prob with my tv no sound on dts encoded videos streamed from my nas, think they go for about 20 quid on ebay it's only good for 1080p stuff though. plug the box straight into the receiver browse your files using the wdtv live interface and don't use arc.

Soldato
My library I converted to ac3 DD. Less hassle and tbh I can hardly hear a difference. I have Plex also so any issues are ironed out (95% direct play anyway)

Caporegime
OP
Ok thanks for the tips guys, in the end I think I will Plex it after all as I don't want to use an external streamer when my TV interface is otherwise so fast and slick.

The picture quality on this thing (Q7FN) is INSANE once calibrated to my taste and the blacks are surprisingly good, looks like a full array dimming as opposed to the edge deluxe. I think I hit the panel lottery with this set so will live woth the lak of DTS and make sure I get hold of compatible media.

Maybe when the next NV TV Shield version is released I will get that. :)

Back
Top Bottom