• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just purchased a 3900X and intend to use on X370?

Associate
Hi All

I am struggling to find an answer to my question on here or google search so thought i would put a thread up.

I have just Purchased a 3900X from OCUK should be here tomorrow. My mother board and ram below.

Apart from no PCI4 support what is the major drawback of using my old X370 mobo? will the VRM's be OK? I dont intend on overclocking tbh although would never rule out a mild overclock but if the mobo wont handle it then thats fine its the thread count i am after.
I do game with the PC but Video editing is my main use so it should be a nice step up from my 1600X as i am having issues with timeline performance with 8bit RAW 4k footage.

I have just done the latest BIOS update to support the 3000 series and that went fine, I have a decent cooler "be quiet dark rock 4" and a 980ti that i use for my "light gaming" can anyone see any issues with this main board? oh i have a very good PSU so that will not be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITXac/#BIOS

and my RAM is
eam Group Dark Pro "8 Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black

Soldato
From just listening to Jayz2cents and he said he asked AMD that exact question and the answering coming back was basically just PCI4. I can't envisage you having any major problems whatsoever.

Associate
OP
From just listening to Jayz2cents and he said he asked AMD that exact question and the answering coming back was basically just PCI4. I can't envisage you having any major problems whatsoever.

Cheers thats what i was sort of finding online but there is no "definitive" answer to the question. I was wondering if newer boards have massively beefed up VRM's etc as i know the new chipset's seem to run a lot hotter. PCI 4X is not interesting to me yet maybe in the future but i am sure by the time i buy into that eco system the entire PC will be changed.

Soldato
@Randall8686 check this sheet out: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

According to this your board should be fine with the 3900X at stock but suggests you need to ensure your VRMs have good airflow.

I've got a X370 board too but mine seems to have better VRMs and Gigabyte claims to have enabled PCIe 4 too but I'll have a look when I install it. I'm actually going from a 1600X as well too but I don't do video editing, just the odd encoding every now and then.

Associate
Looks like it's only 'Select Beta BIOS updates available'. So - I guess it depends on your board manufacturer to make sure the BIOS is available.

While AMD continues to allow all Ryzen CPUs to be installed into the same Socket AM4 as the original X370 and B350 motherboards, you can't quite use any CPU in any motherboard though.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...-old-ryzen-owners-look-away-now/#51d2aa1ed549

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fantonyleather%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F07%2Fasd.jpg

Associate
OP
@Randall8686 check this sheet out: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

According to this your board should be fine with the 3900X at stock but suggests you need to ensure your VRMs have good airflow.

I've got a X370 board too but mine seems to have better VRMs and Gigabyte claims to have enabled PCIe 4 too but I'll have a look when I install it. I'm actually going from a 1600X as well too but I don't do video editing, just the odd encoding every now and then.

Ah cheers interesting doc, it says as you mention ensure good airflow to VRM's well i am not sure it has good airflow looking at it tbh. they are square under the CPU cooler so will have to figure out a way of getting some airflow over them

annoyingly the board does not seem to support measuring the VRM temps either

Soldato
The actual 'need' for a new X570 board is extremely limited, it's a definite 'want' series at the moment. A general rule is you'll be fine for anything half the price from last gen.

Soldato
Imo the X570s are a rip-off. It's mostly people buying them because they want shiny new things. Your mobo is gonna rock that 3900x. Only thing I'd say is let PBO do its thing, don't manually OC it, the results are usually worse in the long-term.

Soldato
Imo the X570s are a rip-off. It's mostly people buying them because they want shiny new things. Your mobo is gonna rock that 3900x. Only thing I'd say is let PBO do its thing, don't manually OC it, the results are usually worse in the long-term.

They are a rip-off, obscene gouging.

Associate
Hi All

I am struggling to find an answer to my question on here or google search so thought i would put a thread up.

I have just Purchased a 3900X from OCUK should be here tomorrow. My mother board and ram below.

Apart from no PCI4 support what is the major drawback of using my old X370 mobo? will the VRM's be OK? I dont intend on overclocking tbh although would never rule out a mild overclock but if the mobo wont handle it then thats fine its the thread count i am after.
I do game with the PC but Video editing is my main use so it should be a nice step up from my 1600X as i am having issues with timeline performance with 8bit RAW 4k footage.

I have just done the latest BIOS update to support the 3000 series and that went fine, I have a decent cooler "be quiet dark rock 4" and a 980ti that i use for my "light gaming" can anyone see any issues with this main board? oh i have a very good PSU so that will not be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITXac/#BIOS

and my RAM is
eam Group Dark Pro "8 Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black

I'll be using my Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K7 initially with the same RAM as you but with 32GB's in total, if all goes well I'll be sticking with it but I do have a Crosshair VII Hero on standby which I picked up cheap just incase. I don't see the value in the X570's just yet, I'm just hoping they have the 3900X instock today and they actually ship my order :)

Soldato
True, but it is to be expected. It's a similar scenario to the smart phone market. When people don't have a reason to buy the latest generation and start to hang on to their phones for 2-3 years then manufactures will start to charge more for the newest gen in part to keep their profit margin at least the same.
When people as the OP can use their X370 with the latest gen CPU then the motherboard manufactures are going to find /create a reason to charge much more for their newest motherboards.

Soldato
I wouldn't let PBO run on that mini-ITX motherboard as it's a doubled 3 phase CPU VRM. Only Asus and MSI bothered to put stronger VRMs in their mini-ITX motherboards.

I would run it at stock and use the supplied cooler as it will blow air over the VRMs. Don't use a vertical cooler or AIO water cooler unless you have solid airflow over the VRMs.

Edit!!

Also being mini-ITX the heatsinks for the VRMs are small and don't have much mass or surface area compared to a full sized motherboard.

Soldato
What about the memory speed? Max 2-3GHz vs 3-4GHz?
You should have absolutely no trouble running 3600MHz+ on an X370 board. People have been pushing those speeds on first and second-gen Ryzen chips on X370 boards, and the new memory controller is a lot better. I'm currently running 3466MHz CL14 with extremely tight subtimings on my Crosshair VI Hero with a second-gen chip, and that's not exactly the best board for pushing high memory clocks due to its T-topology trace layout.

Even the weaker x570 VRM setups are much stronger than the best x470 boards which is worth keeping in mind.
That isn't true though. The quality level across the board has been raised once again, but the best X470 boards still whip a lot of the X570 boards in terms of VRM capability. The Crosshair VII Hero as an example has a ten-phase vcore VRM using 60A power stages, so is capable of delivering 600A. Though you could never even come close to drawing half of that even with a 3950X (which will top out somewhere around 200A), so it's somewhat irrelevant. Either way, it's certainly better than what you'll find on many of the lower end X570 boards.

Associate
I’m going to be running a 3900x in my C6H. Apparently it should be fine. My only concern was the memory, I’ll be happy if I can get 3600 and ecstatic if I get 3733

Back
Top Bottom