RIP John McCririck

Permabanned
Met him some years ago in The Midland Hotel in Manchester, he was an engaging eccentric who although courting some controversy at times was charming company and when asked if he had a tip persuaded me to risk a £50 punt on Frankie Dettori at the weekend, which paid off quite handsomely. Not being a gambling man I took some persuading to risk 50 quid but he seemed to know his stuff <LOL> Thanks John, you were a one off and we had a great night! I was surprised when he said "Booby" is picking me early tomorrow, so I need to get to bed early, as it was already around midnight. "Who the hell is Booby" I thought, tuned out it was his pet name for his wife, not because of her enormous bust but because he considered her IQ that of the Booby bird, apparently notorious for its stupidity. A real character, with an amazing and interesting recall about all things horse racing, on both the technical and personal level, and who had an excellent taste in cigars.... :) RIP.

Soldato
I'm surprised this isn't a bigger thread. One of the giants of racing on television back in the day when we only had 4 channels to choose from. Everyone would have seen him back then reeling off the odds and prices for all the horses racing that day. He was the best at what he did.

It was sad to him shown the door by channel 4. I think it really took it out of him. It felt like he was a man who had lived longer than his time and was no longer appreciated at the channel he had brought viewers to.

RIP John, you were brave to be yourself and speak your mind, more than most do in this world.

Soldato
Met him in Edinburgh many moons ago, he was certainly larger than life.
Not sure we have eccentrics like him anymore, probably not politically correct.
RIP John.

Caporegime
I first knew him as a child as that weirdly dressed horse racing guy on channel 4.

Then I was lucky to see him on celebrity big brother and discovered he was a very controversial character.

Rip to an eccentric character.

Soldato
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9447954/john-mccririck-dead-wife-channel-4-sacked/

Was sad read this a day ago John McCririck died from Lung Cancer. His cigars killed him.

Lung cancer is world number 1 cancer killer, it has survival rate up to 2 years if catch at very early stage but lung cancer often is the silent killer. My mother's friend Mary one day suffered bad back pain and struggled to walked around house then his GP came to visited her and examined her then called a doctor and they came to the house to examined her and gave their opinions agreed Mary have lung cancer. Then after done MRI scan at hospital confirmed she have stage 4 lung cancer, she was devastated after doctors told her she have 3 months to live without treatments or around 6 months with treatments. She decided to have treatments to extend her life but she died 3 months later back in 2010. Mary was smoking all her life and was very healthy at old age. 3 days ago on Thursday my mother told me her friend Jean was admitted to hospital suffered chest infection and doctors found fluid build up in her left lung and had an operation to drained fluid out and doctors just discovered Jean has lung cancer. Jean had quitted smoking 2 weeks ago as her eyes had improved after suffered eyes cataracts for a few years. She is yet to hear what treatments will suit her and how long she will live.

Cancer and smoking is horrible!

John McCririck would still alive and lived to 100 if he never smoked cigars.

RIP John McCririck

Soldato
And yet so many people who actually knew him and worked with him say the complete opposite.

He didn't suffer fools that's for sure.
Really? I only read one article about his death, the sky news one. Every quote from people who knew him failed to mention anything positive about him as a person, rather referring to him as a great promoter of the sport, or simply acknowledging the sadness of his passing.

I did see that Limmy's stock celebrity death tweet got picked up in the press, though. At least that said nice stuff :D

Back
Top Bottom