Distribution Panel

Associate
With the imminent release of the Zen 2's i am purchasing the last components for my first water-cooled Build (3900x).

I so far have:

- Phanteks Entho Evolv X Case
- 2x 360mm Black Ice Nemesis GTS
- LL120 Fans
- Loads of Barrow Fittings

The only thing i have left to buy are the tubing (doing Hardline), the pump and the reservoir. Originally i was going to do:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-xres-140-revo-d5-rgb-pwm-incl.-pump-wc-9jx-ek.html

But i am now thinking:
A Barrow distribution plate with a barrow distribution plate pump.

Does anyone know the Pro's and Cons of the two options?.

Many Thanks.

Soldato
Sounds very similar to my WC build going on, in a Define S2 case, but also using 360 GTS rads, ML120 fans and a ton of barrow fittings and hardline. I'm using the XRES that you linked with a taller reservoir tube.

As far as I know, the distribution plate is for aesthetics only, it doesn't give any cooling benefits.

Soldato
Distribution panels are really just to help you with the overall look. They let you have horizontal tube runs so your loop looks cool. The problem as I see it is they tend to result in an overall longer tube run rather than building the shortest possible, least restrictive loop.

There was a time when water-cooling was about minimising restriction so big fat tubes, long curves rather than sharp bends, maximise turbulence inside the blocks, these were all things that we tried to do to get the most out of parts that weren't really designed for computers. Nowadays it's more about the looks so if a distribution panel is going to give your rig the look you want, go for it, but it is unlikely to improve the overall cooling capability.

Soldato
I've experimented with making distribution plates. I think if it allows for a prettier loop, go for it. If it doesn't line up with your particular layout, it won't add much value IMO.

But if you can, get creative! There's no real pros or cons versus an integrated pump/res, aside from maybe trickier filling and draining.

Associate
OP
Thanks all going to go for the distribution plate and DDC pump as i believe it to look nicer.

I also need to get a CPU block. Should i wait for the release or can i get an existing one?

Soldato
Thanks all going to go for the distribution plate and DDC pump as i believe it to look nicer.

I also need to get a CPU block. Should i wait for the release or can i get an existing one?
They're using AM4 so mounting mechanism won't change. There may be new blocks coming but existing ones should work fine with new CPUs.

Associate
OP
Thanks, i was looking at the distribution plates for the Evolv X. They all say only compatible with Intel CPU's, do you know if that is actually the case?

Back
Top Bottom