Motherboard for 9th Gen Intel with DDR3

Associate
I'm looking for a cheap upgrade and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a DDR3 motherboard for Coffee Lake / Kaby Lake CPUs. I'm looking for a cheap way to upgrade, as I have DDR3 RAM already. I haven't yet looked at how much this would hurt performance.

Please don't hate me for my cheapness :D

Also, fairly sure the performance won't be that bad, as there are older Intel CPUs that still work quite well with DDR3.

Man of Honour
I'm looking for a cheap upgrade and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a DDR3 motherboard for Coffee Lake / Kaby Lake CPUs. I'm looking for a cheap way to upgrade, as I have DDR3 RAM already. I haven't yet looked at how much this would hurt performance.

Please don't hate me for my cheapness :D
no such thing.

Associate
OP
basically can only run an i3k or a locked i5 on that board with trash un-heatsinked vrms lol
It supports the Core i9-9900K.

It's a bit academic really as I can't find one to buy. Don't think Intel wants people to buy old tech particularly.

Man of Honour
It supports the Core i9-9900K.
technically yes...as the 9900k is a 95w component at base clocks.

with any sort of boost (not overclocking or MCE) - power draw can hit 180w, and up to 250w when overclocked.
that board won't run a 9900k on any frequency except base.

like having a car with a 10hp engine rather than a 300hp engine.
will it run...well yes...
will it run well? no.

Soldato
I found a motherboard that supports 9th generation Intel CPUs, that requires DDR3L RAM. Is there any chance it will work with ordinary DDR3?

If not, perhaps I'll be able to borrow someone elses.

I think perhaps you should post in an appropriate Intel thread or start a new one as you're somewhat off topic now.

For the record - You're insane trying to find a board just to put a 9 series in and keep your RAM.

Soldato
I found a motherboard that supports 9th generation Intel CPUs, that requires DDR3L RAM. Is there any chance it will work with ordinary DDR3?

Not wanting to continue the OT but I've ran a Coffee Lake i5 on an H110 chipset with normal DDR3. I did read somewhere that this is probably not good to do because of the memory voltage, but... I had no issue and the CPU is working great in another board now.

Agree with the above however, buy new memory and a new board. I was only in this situation due to getting a great deal on a Taobao prebuilt.

Associate
OP
I think perhaps you should post in an appropriate Intel thread or start a new one as you're somewhat off topic now.

For the record - You're insane trying to find a board just to put a 9 series in and keep your RAM.

Maybe a bit. But not as insane as Intel's prices at the moment. It's tempting just to upgrade my graphics card if/ when AMD releases new Navi cards, rather than worrying about CPU bottlenecks.

Also, sorry for making people read lol.

Back
Top Bottom