• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So i have my vega 56 now but i have issues.

Soldato
So i gave gta 5 ago and fps seemed high at maxed out in adv gfx tab (not the other adv one) but i notice stutter a bit when going fast at night which is where my save is at. I notice its 100% cpu usage with msi afterburner but i had that with the 780ti so figured must be a amd issue probably, is it? Also when driving fast at night i have pop in and a whole section of road didnt load up, why is that, it was fine with the 780ti. Confused.com lol.

Also i have lag in the menus, now with the 780ti it was there but not this bad i mean with the vega 56 in and after a min playing then press esc and go to the menu when the maps up sometimes the mouse just stops or clicks dont register and i have to click a few times for it to work.

Also ive no idea if i should set anything special up in the amd drivers panel as ive only used nvidia panel before. Which is another thing, in nvidia panel i could adjust res and refresh rate with ease, but i cant find a setting for that in amd drivers panel i had to go through windows to set my monitor back to 75hz instead of 60hz.

Temps seem ok it got to about 70 when playing 4k using upscaling with amd panel setting turned on and actually with just removing msaa x2 to off i got about 60fps 4k lol tho did dip a bit but seemed quick still.

So far i think the 780ti was better for gta 5 than the vega 56 pulse. Unless im missing something. Yes i know my cpu is old but it worked ok before with the 780ti and that was still a good card even at 1440p i could play it ok.

Btw i have a freesync monitor and freesync seems on in the amd panel and i have vsync off ingame but i dunno how it works because i was getting 75fps and didnt seem smooth like freesync was advertised or tear free, seemed less teary at 50ish sometimes but not smooth i dunno if its the 5ms responce of the monitor or not or freesync isnt working properly i thought freesync stoped tearing but also made it look really smooth the animations and whatnot and with no input lag.

Im using latest drivers from yesterday amd adrelalin (sp) ones. Or should i be using a older driver?

I used ddu before i removed the 780ti using safe mode before putting the new card in. btw.

So far im a bit gutted sure i got more fps and more vram now but doesnt seem as good as when i had the ti in, can i improve it at all with tweaks or somit? Dont wana mess about undervolting or overclocking the card yet and no to a cpu upgrade as ive never had a issue gaming tbh i just wanted more vram and newer tech and more stable rates at 75 area for 1440p, nothing too much to ask for with a gpu upgrade i thought.

Associate
Did you use DDU to remove drivers?
If not I would start with that. Download DDU, boot into safe mode and remove both Nvidia and AMD Drivers.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i said in the OP that i did. Ty tho for replying. :)

Maybe turning everything to max in gta 5 isnt still possible with a vega 56 and my cpu at 4.2ghz?

Also just tried to launch gta 4 see how that goes but its gone really low res and goes black screen after a few credit intro screens so dunno what to do there now either.

Associate
GTA 5 is an outliar that hates AMD GPUs. So yes I'd imagine the 780ti is close to the Vega on this one but the Vega should still be beating it

If your CPU is at 100% then the CPU is bottlenecking your Vega.

Associate
Sounds like a cpu issue. If it was at 100% with the 780ti, and your getting more frames now, the cpu's going to be working even harder.

What's the load on the GPU?

Soldato
OP
99% or somit im not sure.

Now im trying gta 4 and its even worse, i cant even get the game to play. I can get it to main menu and ive tried vsync off and on but after loading the level its black screen with some audio and the screen flashes between black and monitor off black. Even getting out of the game to desktop is tricky sometimes with ctrl alt del.

If i have problems still after a few days im returning it and just use the 780ti at least all games work and play well still. I just wanted a bit of future proofing and more vram is why i wanted the 56. Sigh..

Oh and no mans sky took forever to load with fps being 7 at the lowest while the universe loading screen was happening, afterwards when turning i was getting stuttery lag even tho cpu and gpu wasnt even half used percent wise. :/

What other games am i gona discover that dont work well. :/

Associate
CPU bottleneck, CPU is trying to work harder to push out more frames for the Vega 56 but can't.

Quick fix is to limit framerate to 60.

Associate
What other games am i gona discover that dont work well. :/

While it is likely your CPU is bottlenecking the Vega, GTA 5 is probably the worst performer on AMD hardware. AC Origins/Odyssey also perform significantly worse and Fortnite/Overwatch all perform worse. Still the Vega should be easily beating your 780 ti across the board.

What CPU do you have btw?

Soldato
OP
the good reliable 3570k at 4.2ghz i could oc more as i had it at 4.5ghz once but that was on aio water cooler im on matterhorn air cooler plus i forgot all my bios settings to reach it and cba to redo it all again so did the lazy 1 setting oc in bios for boost to reach 4.2ghz.

Soldato
I notice its 100% cpu usage with msi afterburner

This is 100% your problem. When you had the 780ti the 100% cpu load wasn't "that" bad because the cpu could still feed the 780ti at 100%.
Now you done gone and upgraded your GPU instead of your CPU. Now you are still at 100% cpu load but you have a better, faster, more hungry GPU and you are simply stalling it.
Nothing can be done about it at this point. You need to cap FPS to 60 and hope that doesn't still ping you cpu at 100%.

The only fix is to upgrade your CPU so it can properly feed the GPU.

Soldato
OP
Ive noticed very high cpu usage with amd software panel as sometimes it doesnt even show it just shows a win 7 aero kinda box and its blury inside so i have to force close, when its not like that i try dragging the panel around the screen and boy the lag behind what my mouse tells it to go to is unbelievable. This is with no games running btw. Might be after i played one but the exe is defo closed for the game. At the mo im trying to remove drivers again and try a previous driver that came out on june 27th to see if that helps.

Starting to think its a software issue now not a hardware one.

Soldato
3570K has 4C/4T, it did not have hyperthreading. I been read reviews on old CPUs without hyperthreading on modern games a few years all had hit CPU bottleneck but 3770K did not suffered CPU bottleneck.

3 years ago I had GTX 1070 ran GTA V on my old 3770K ran much better than GTX 970.

I cant find GTA V youtube video with 3770K and Vega 56 but found a video with 3770K and GTX 1070 showed CPU load at 60-70%.

I suggest you to buy a second hand 3770K and then sell your 3570K.

Associate
I would check your CPU before you enter the game. Do you have any processes running in the background. Does you anti virus software kick off scans while you are playing. Are your windows updates finished. Go to the bottom right of your windows task bar and click the up arrow. How many programs do you have running and do you need them all.

Soldato
CPU is a quadcore. It'll be struggling to feed the 56 in GTAV. Use the Chill software in Wattman to limit the fps to between 60/70. make sure Chill is activated too when you game. You'll hear 3 beeps when the game is loading to tell you Chill is active.

Soldato
OP
Its not like its slow the game its just if ur in a very fast car (the white one the black fella has at his posh house later in the game) and just speed down the long streets at night, theres some juddery spikes and the textures are delayed as in either are plain color then a blury texture then sharp in a sec or two, slower u go the less it happens.

Ive set the fps cap to 74 and using freesync (tried freesync off see if that caused it but nope) anyhow.

This morning as been up all night messing about ive retried 4k res with upscale thing in the amd options so got 4k ingame but instead of maxed setting (very high or ultra) im trying just high and no msaa just fxaa and 2x msaa reflective thing. Seems a bit better, also tried undervolting and atm i got the ram to 900 (samsung vram) at 1000mv and a profile where it ends on stage 7 about 1630/1060mv i think, power thing to 50 (hope it doesnt mean it draws more power tho as im trying to draw less lol) but in gta v its a lot better, less pop in blury textures still 74fps with the odd dips where i feel it judders especially where the water way places are near the streets where they do drag races but its better and almost constant 74fps at 4k. Afterburner was saying the gpu was getting up to the 2300h range instead of 1630 thats set, lol. Tho more often about 1700ish. The 2300 was where trev was smashing his sons tv in a room.

Oh and bumped the cpu from 4.2 to 4.4 as with just the 1 adjustment still the multiplier for the turbo thing in bios as not messing about with other settings, no whey errors or kernal errors reported so far in admin event viewer.

Tho i thought i actually mucked the undervolting up and ruined the card cos during a test play with the new settings i was getting missing textures like crazy i thought man have i broke the vram or somit. But i think what it was is that i left gpuz render test running in the background when i thought i turned it off. :p

Cpu temp i think got to about 70max after plaiyng it like that for 20 mins and the gpu i think was about 60ish tho the hotspot rating in gpuz said about 80 somit like 81-84 i cant recall now. Hope those temps were ok.

Associate
So you upped in game settings after switching to Vega 56.? A lot of settings in GTA V are CPU related so you will be taxing your CPU even more where it was already running at 100% before. Hardly surprising...

Soldato
1) Hard to figure out what OP is writing, need some sort of translation :p

2) You have your answer, your CPU is not fast enough for a vega 56, it's stalling it, causing stuttering 4c4t in gta5 isn't great.

Soldato
OP
Well whats the point in getting a card at least 50% faster if not to turn the settings up. I mean i know some of them are cpu driven like so i didnt adjust them as much but still. Ud think textures would have been ok and things like grass and view distance possibly.

Back
Top Bottom