Rasberry Pi as a desktop - how do they fare these days?

I remember the original Raspi from 2012 was comparable to a Pentium II 200MHz, possibly ~300MHz if overclocked.

The Raspi 4 has just come out, with an ARM 1.5GHz quad core, 4GB embedded eMMC for primary storage plus the usual SD expansion slot. How would this compare to real life desktop operating terms if I went for the model with 4GB RAM? I'm interested in spending more time in Linux as an operating environment (browsing, music, productivity etc), but also having programming at my fingertips. The Raspian / Debian distro is pre-loaded with a few tools already including Python. I have some unstarted projects that I would like to get started on e.g. AllPixel and Python would be just a few clicks away. The Raspi 4 would be plugged into my monitor's HDMI 2, then just switch over to HDMI 1 if I fancy some gaming on my Windows laptop.

I might need 2 sets of keyboards/mice unless I can get a suitable KVM switch!

I've also got a Raspi 1 + 2 (but not a 3) which I've used for Pi-Hole and a media server via Samba, so know a bit of command line already, but I'm interested in getting more hands-on with Linux and single-board computing :)

Soldato
I remember the original Raspi from 2012 was comparable to a Pentium II 200MHz, possibly ~300MHz if overclocked.

The Raspi 4 has just come out, with an ARM 1.5GHz quad core, 4GB embedded eMMC for primary storage [incorrect] plus the usual SD expansion slot. How would this compare to real life desktop operating terms if I went for the model with 4GB RAM? I'm interested in spending more time in Linux as an operating environment (browsing, music, productivity etc), but also having programming at my fingertips. The Raspian / Debian distro is pre-loaded with a few tools already including Python. I have some unstarted projects that I would like to get started on e.g. AllPixel and Python would be just a few clicks away. The Raspi 4 would be plugged into my monitor's HDMI 2, then just switch over to HDMI 1 if I fancy some gaming on my Windows laptop.

I might need 2 sets of keyboards/mice unless I can get a suitable KVM switch!

I've also got a Raspi 1 + 2 (but not a 3) which I've used for Pi-Hole and a media server via Samba, so know a bit of command line already, but I'm interested in getting more hands-on with Linux and single-board computing :)

The Pi 4 does not have an eMMC option, I don't know where you've read that, the only model with eMMC that I know of is the Compute Module.

Raspbian Buster is still a little raw around the edges plus the Pi 4 firmware that allows for booting OS from USB2 and USB3 is not yet ready. I've got around this by using NOOBS to install Raspbian to a USB3 SSD, so the initial boot is off of sd and then hands over to rootfs on the SSD. After the initial boot the OS flys on the SSD.

The desktop experience is ok at the moment but as I say Raspbian Buster is in early stages, I'll probably switch to the Ubuntu Mate option when that becomes available. If you really want to go physical I'd wait a month or two for everything to settle down distro wise, it's caught a fair few people on the hop.

Also the thing runs hot so you'll want to wait for better case options (Flirc I'm looking at you ;)) to keep it running cooler.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys :)

I saw eMMC on the specs tables on the Raspi Wikipedia page and indeed it was under the Compute Module, so I read that incorrectly.

Good call about booting to SD then handing it over to SSD.

Thanks to the Dons as well, I wasn't sure if Linux was the right section to post in!

Associate
I tried using Raspberry Pi 3 as a desktop for nearly a week (running Xubuntu 16.04), it wasn't too fun, it managed things okay if I just kept to 1-2 tabs open max in Firefox with not much else running, 1GB RAM was limiting, but with 4GB RAM and faster CPU on Pi 4, it should do the task much better.

Looks like the CPU in Pi 4 performs similarly to Core 2 era CPUs, which is nice.

Soldato
Pi4 is workable as a basic desktop, I'm using mine like this currently just to tinker with a little - but not sure it will get long term use like this. MrWhippy's "just use a VM" is a fair comment unless you specifically want to get familiar with working in a Linux machine on Arm architecture - not sure you can do that in a VM or how big a difference it will make for simpler tasks. If you do fancy the Pi option I can recommend a KVM! I bought a "Rybozen USB Switch Selector" at the weekend. 4 USB 2 ports that can be connected to one of 2 machines and switch at the hit of a button. Currently using it to swap between my main desktop and the Pi 4 - whilst leaving the video to multiple inputs on my screen. No drivers were required, even all the RGB functionality of my keyboard works fine in Windows - although it took a few plug/unplug cycles / swapping of USB ports before that behaved consistently!

Don
Unless you actually need gpio or the tiny form factor of a pi, then there are better/cheaper options.

A £20 used thin client offers as much computing power as a pi4, a £40-£50 used OEM desktop much more, both with the benefit of mainstream x86 compatibility.

Associate
I have had 3 PIs over the years and I too was curious about this with my PI 3.
The experience was not enjoyable. As soon as you want to do anything stressfull on the PI or use it for more than 10 mins. They get hot. So hot.
By stresfull I mean 2 tabs and an editor on a 1080p monitor.
They do throttle (so they dont kill them selves) and they do show an indicator on the GUI.
I use one as a firewall/kodi box and it has a couple of after market heatsinks.

So your not just looking at the cost of a new PI4. There is the power supply. heatsink/fan/case combo. A stack of SD cards.
The inevitable USB hub you will need. Most likely 1 if not 2 new wireless input devices. A hdmi cable.

You can learn programming on anything.
You can learn linux on any HW.
Using linux in a VM on windows box work fine.
Using VS code (on a PC, Mac or another linx mahcine) to remotely develop on a headerless linux box works fine.

As has been suggested above. A cheapo ex office desktop for £50 will serve you better to learn linux and programming if thats all you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom