• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3600 or 3700x?

Associate
I am about to build my first new PC since Sandy bridge and due to being out of the loop for a while i wanted your opinions on the above choice...

This PC will be ITX and used for 1440p gaming and web browsing with no productivity stuff other than opening the odd compressed file etc. I plan to pair it with either a 2070S or a 5700XT after i have seen what the customer 5700XT cooler solutions offer in august.

I have the funds for the 3700x, but if the actual gains over the 3600 in my use case scenario are limited i could easily use the £120~ saving to improve the RAM, CPU cooler or kit my case out with 4 Noctua fans :rolleyes:

I don't do major upgrades that often so looking at 3-4 year set and forget kind of thing.

Thanks,
Technics

Associate
I play at 1440p and use a RTX 2080. I decided to go with a 3600 rather than a 3700x and go with better RAM.
Looking at the benchmarks on YouTube etc at 1440p the difference is pretty small as it's more GPU bound.

Associate
I am about to build my first new PC since Sandy bridge and due to being out of the loop for a while i wanted your opinions on the above choice...

This PC will be ITX and used for 1440p gaming and web browsing with no productivity stuff other than opening the odd compressed file etc. I plan to pair it with either a 2070S or a 5700XT after i have seen what the customer 5700XT cooler solutions offer in august.

I have the funds for the 3700x, but if the actual gains over the 3600 in my use case scenario are limited i could easily use the £120~ saving to improve the RAM, CPU cooler or kit my case out with 4 Noctua fans :rolleyes:

I don't do major upgrades that often so looking at 3-4 year set and forget kind of thing.

Thanks,
Technics

I intend to build something along those lines... what ITX board are you going to use?

Cheers

Associate
OP
I play at 1440p and use a RTX 2080. I decided to go with a 3600 rather than a 3700x and go with better RAM.
Looking at the benchmarks on YouTube etc at 1440p the difference is pretty small as it's more GPU bound.

Cheers chap, i will probably follow suit with some 3600mhz ram and a better cooler

I intend to build something along those lines... what ITX board are you going to use?

Cheers

Pre launch i was pretty set on a Asus Strix-I build, but it seems that the supply of X570 ITX boards on a whole is really poor with OcUk only stocking the Gigabyte one at the moment. So i am not 100% sure currently ...

Soldato
I seem to recall watching a video of benchmarking 3600 vs 3700 vs 3900 and 3700 with 3900 did seem to have much higher FPS lows, whilst the average was not that different. Something to consider.

Soldato
I seem to recall watching a video of benchmarking 3600 vs 3700 vs 3900 and 3700 with 3900 did seem to have much higher FPS lows, whilst the average was not that different. Something to consider.

With average fps being roughly equal across ryzen 3000 cpus the main difference between the 6, 8 and 12cores is that the more cores and L3 cache means much higher minimum and such frame rate drops

Caporegime
would deffo look at 8 core min for long build. 6 core is sorta now and next year. 8 will be future . will sorta be like playing battlefield on 4 cores vs 6 now.

Caporegime
would deffo look at 8 core min for long build. 6 core is sorta now and next year. 8 will be future . will sorta be like playing battlefield on 4 cores vs 6 now.

i'd build for the now and worry about the future later when newer cpu's are out.

the way I see it the £120 he saves now. can go towards a new cpu which will no doubt be a lot faster than todays offerings.

it's always smart to buy bang for buck and upgrade more often. than buy top end then not upgrade for 10 years.

Caporegime
erm...dunno...hes building for the long. a 6 core now will mean you will have to upgrade again in a shorter period of time. time being the key factor in value. 6 cores will be 1-2 years max from now for main gaming then 8 will be the mainstay like 6 is now. is the 120 quid worth it ? for better future proofing . thats upto him. i know myself would only be buying 8 or above now. thats personal preference and we can only give our own opinions.

what you say could be true keep his gear for two years then upgrade again. or do the 8 core option maybe 3-4 years.

Soldato
I'm in the same boat and definitely leaning towards the 3600 and a b450 or x470. In 1-2 years you'll be wanting something new anyway especially with the new Intel amd rivalry.

Back
Top Bottom