Upgrade advice please.

Associate
Just remember what happened last time with your FX build. You were stuck with 6 core because you skimped out on the motherboard. Maybe it's worth for you to invest more in motherboard, that can support 8/12 or even 16 core for future upgrade ability.

I would even go as far as to recommend taking 2600 now and invest the difference in motherboard.

Just my opinion and something for you to think about.

Man of Honour
Maybe it's worth for you to invest more in motherboard, that can support 8/12 or even 16 core for future upgrade ability.
the MSI B450 boards linked can support an OC-ed 12c 3900x lol. it really isn't a bad choice.

If i buy a gpu next month I can probably push to below.
personally, as good as those parts are (and i do recommend them), it's out of your limited budget. better off spending the money on better value parts.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £340.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

1) 2600 is the best value cpu on the market currently. yes it's slower than the 3600...but the 3600 is also 50% more expensive (and certainly not 50% faster)
2) cheaper motherboard. has the same VRMs as the b450 gaming pro carbon-ac. less usb ports/sata ports and lacks wifi...but £40 cheaper. where the smart money is at, if you don't need wifi/already have separate wifi card.
3) cheaper memory

Associate
the MSI B450 boards linked can support an OC-ed 12c 3900x lol. it really isn't a bad choice.

There's one more gen coming out on AM4 mind you and cooler VRM's never hurt anyone.
What else is there, another m.2 slot ?
All I'm saying to pay attention to motherboard. Rest can be swapped easily.
Get a **** ram now, eff it 2x4 GB will do for now, upgrade later. Cpu, same thing.
But taking the motherboard out, packing it, listing it, selling it, shipping it, now that's a hassle.

Man of Honour
Thank you bro. I dont need a wifi card I prefer wired all day. I did see this though - it only works out 14 ish quid more https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...us-elite-and-amd-ryzen-5-2600-bu-01t-am.html# - would that be 14 quid well spent or similar to other upgrade mentioned?
MSI B450-A pro is the better board. yes it lacks the pizzazz and looks of the gigabyte board, but you're paying for that. rather than the stuff that matters (ie the VRMs).
tl;dr - if it was worth it, i'd already have specced it.

There's one more gen coming out on AM4 mind you and cooler VRM's never hurt anyone.
What else is there, another m.2 slot ?
All I'm saying to pay attention to motherboard. Rest can be swapped easily.
Get a **** ram now, eff it 2x4 GB will do for now, upgrade later. Cpu, same thing.
But taking the motherboard out, packing it, listing it, selling it, shipping it, now that's a hassle.
balanced against literally blowing the budget on a mobo.
future proofing is great and all that...but not at the cost of performance right now...imo
and besides, ryzen 4000 is supposed to be less power hungry than current ryzen 3000 fwiw.

Back
Top Bottom