Changing Radiator

Caporegime
I want to upgrade my radiators to a higher output version, they appear to be a standard 1000mm wide.

Do I need to bare anything in mind when purchasing new ones as long as the width is the same?

Caporegime
OP
Wanted to check I could do this before getting parts, so I've removed the radiator from the wall - surprising how much water they hold!

Only slight issue is the one side of the radiator hasn't shut off completely so I have a very slow drip, put an ice cream container under it for now I'm going to have to get a compression end cap the in the morning because the radiator will take a couple of days to be delivered and I don't want my system continually leaking.

Soldato
Radiator tips (probably no use for OP, but maybe for others):

When removing radiators, if it's on carpet I want to keep, or just don't fancy ******* up the floor, I drill a drainage hole in the bottom for a controlled emptying. Drill another near the top to allow for air to get in and drain faster.
To dispose, just leave it outside the house for the scrapmen to take.

Easy enough to fit a new one if the pipes line up

Associate
Radiator tips (probably no use for OP, but maybe for others):

When removing radiators, if it's on carpet I want to keep, or just don't fancy ******* up the floor, I drill a drainage hole in the bottom for a controlled emptying. Drill another near the top to allow for air to get in and drain faster.
To dispose, just leave it outside the house for the scrapmen to take.

Easy enough to fit a new one if the pipes line up

Good idea, though I'd suggest just loosening/taking out the bleed valve instead of drilling a top hole.

Soldato
If its the valve side and you don't have the little plastic cap that came with the valve, you could try removing the valve body and putting something small into the bit that pushes the pin down and then screw it back on. They often have an anti freeze setting that lets a small amount of water through, so they don't always push the pin fully home.

Back
Top Bottom